On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 18:21:17 -0500, Nick, WA5BDU wrote:

>Adjust pitch without hearing it?  I can't imagine that.

I wasn't suggesting that the ability to adjust sidetone pitch be
eliminated. Merely that we have the additional ability to
interactively adjust the pitch of the received signal. Yes, both
pitches are the same. But as it is now you cannot hear the effect on
the signal itself while adjusting PITCH-- the received audio is cut
off and the sidetone comes on. This makes it difficult to tell what
pitch is optimum for the particular signal and the given reception
conditions.

IOW, I don't really care what the sidetone pitch is-- one is as good
as another. It is the offset pitch of the signal that is important. So
why not be able to adjust it for best copy under current conditions?
We can adjust the volume of a signal while listening to it; so why not
the pitch?  Depending on noise, QRM, keying characteristics, speed,
etc. you might want to alter the pitch for better copy. I think it
would be useful.

73,
Drew
AF2Z