Using a set of computer speakers which have their own gain control allows you to adjust the overall AF gain, including the sidetone then use the AF gain control on the K3 to adjust for band noise. That's how I avoid having to fiddle with the sidetone level.

Steve Ellington
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
----- Original Message ----- From: "Nick-WA5BDU" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <Elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Monday, July 28, 2008 7:21 PM
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Sidetone Monitor Preference Opinions

I hadn't noticed that they didn't track until this thread, so I guess status quo is OK with me. Just now, I found that in swapping between speaker and phones, I do not feel the need to adjust the sidetone level.

While transmitting ... well, it can be disconcerting to start transmitting full QSK and the band noise is so loud you can't hear your sidetone. But as one poster said, you could turn down the AF gain in that case as a quick interim cure. During noisy contests, I like the keep the sidetone level high. A dedicated knob would be nice, but not worth the panel space for just that function. I'm well pleased with the ease of accessing both pitch and sidetone level -- much easier than on the FT-1000 I sold to buy the K3.
Adjust pitch without hearing it?  I can't imagine that.
Bonus opinion:  I like the CCW for less bandwidth of the Width control.

"Can I have a little more banjo in the monitor?"

73--Nick, WA5BDU