On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 11:22:52 -0400, Tom W8JI wrote:

>Moving the balun to the input of an unbalanced network does
>NOT make life on the balun or the system easier for the
>truly difficult problem, common mode isolation.

I strongly agree with all of this. One of the most important
functions of a common mode choke is decoupling noise received on the
transmission line from antenna. Obviously, the same configuration
also is most effective at decoupling transmit RF from the
transmission line and preventing pattern distortion. It is most
effective at doing this if it is at the feedpoint (that is, up in
the air).

73,

Jim K9YC