Arie,

An L network with the inductor in series with the line can be easily made into a balanced tuner - use half the inductance and put the result in series with each leg of the load. I have often thought about creating a tuner like that by altering a KAT100 (using a second board and set of relays, but the same controller), but have never gotten around to it. The disadvantage of the KAT100 for me is that it cannot be used remotely, and my need is for a tuner 150 feet of coax away from the shack because of XYL restrictions.

That still does not solve the problem for what happens to the balanced RF inside the coax when it comes to the end of the coax and finds two paths - one onto the intended conductor and the other onto the outside of the coax shield. In this case, I believe a balun at the tuner input would be appropriate.

73,
Don W3FPR

Arie Kleingeld PA3A wrote:
How about a normal L-type network? Connect one side to the balanced
line, and the other side via a current balun to the 50 coax. The tuner
is 'RF-floating'. (You can run the coax through a toroid or use two
seperate wires to make the current balun.)
73,
Arie PA3a