The lowband season is well underway, and I'm
really enjoying it with my new K3.  I'm enjoying
the low pitch CW capability (my current setting
is 320 Hz), and the 400 Hz 8-pole roofing filter
that I use most of the time.

In my rather noisy inner suburban location, I'm
using both the noise blanker and DSP NR
functions to pull out the weak ones.  In
conjunction with all these great DX tools, I've
been experimenting with the AGC SLP and THR
adjustments in light of earlier discussions on
this reflector.  A simple archive search on AGC
SLP yielded much food for thought.

Thanks to Lyle Dunlap  and Jack Smith for their
technical information; also to Fred, KT5X, for the
useful suggestion on assigning the SLP and THR
adjustments to the PF1 and PF2 keys.

I have this theory that for lowband DX work,
especially on 80 and 160 meters, that a low
threshold combined with a flattened characteristic
(high SLP value) might help the ears in dealing
with the huge disparity in signal levels between
the DX and the QRM.  I've noticed that my ears
seem to have a recovery time from the blast from
loud signals encountered when a loud DX cop is
interfering, or when I switch back to my Rx VFO
after checking the pileup on the Tx frequency. A
flat AGC response seems to help a lot.

Perhaps others have some thoughts or theories
on this?  At any rate, I'm so pleased to have a
radio where these AGC parameters are adjustable!

73,

Chuck Guenther  NI0C
St. Louis, MO

K2/10 s/n 5853