Not sure what mode is being referred to here, but I will assume CW as this is
the mode most suited to NR.

I find RX EQ settings have a significant effect on NR; I have boosted the
400-800Hz channels a few dB and that causes the cw note to appear to 'jump
out at you' under NR along with reduction in the noise. Can't remember NR
settings but it's not extreme and I aim for least echoing and character
softening...

I also had an FT990 before the K3. It was a great radio but I don't find
myself hankering after it's hifi audio while listening to my K3; I'm sure
the overall audio quality was no worse than the K3 but as with the K3 I only
ever used the internal speaker - one less potential rfi path for one thing.
Can't do an A/B comparison because I eventually sold it to finance the
purchase of a KRX3, which incidentally is scheduled for delivery today(!)

Wish me luck because I plan to fit asap and have it all running for

Stewart Rolfe, GW0ETF (K3 #145)