Mel,

Despite all the exotic methods, one thing is true - solder suckers of all types work much better when there is a lead in the hole to be de-soldered (the lead conducts heat through the hole). Clearing the hole after the lead is removed is a different matter entirely. For my part sticking something that solder will not adhere to into the hole (after heating the solder pad with a soldering iron) is quite effective. A wooden toothpick will work, but I use a stainless steel needle. I have several with handles than I have picked up at hamfests, but in a pinch a sewing needle with the eye end embedded into a cork works fine too (the needle will get hot, and the cork is only 'finger protection').

73,
Don W3FPR

Mel Farrer wrote:
I would like to add a comment on removing solder from SMT via holes. There are three methods and the first two have been discussed. I have found as the technology gets better, smaller, the plated through holes also get really small. Like 0.020 or smaller. Solder suckers have a very difficult time pulling the solder up.

Let me explain, consider the mass of the solder pad on the side you are going to apply heat. If you get the solder liquid and don't destroy the pad, the bottom pad, MAY be liquid and come up with the sucker type. It works good on larger pads but not so good as the holes get smaller. Too much air leakage and you are trying to pull cold solder. Not always successful.

Using the solder braid has also the same problem as it is a heat sink and usually requires you to put additional heat to suck the solder up. Works great on larger holes and traces that are large like 50 ohm strip line. OK, so what is left? I use a solder "pusher". Back before someone invented the solder sucker, we used a small hollow rubber ball with a small entrance teflon tube that we had and it had replaceable tips of different sizes to accommodate hole size. This allows exact pressure of the right size on the hot side of the PCB and "blows" hot solder out against the colder solder on the other side and effectively cleans the hole without over heating the pad.........

From someone who is long in the tooth,

Mel K6KBE