At 07:53 PM 12/30/2008, Mel Farrer wrote...
I would like to add a comment on removing solder from SMT via holes. There are three methods and the first two have been discussed. I have found as the technology gets better, smaller, the plated through holes also get really small. Like 0.020 or smaller. Solder suckers have a very difficult time pulling the solder up.

There is no need to remove solder from SMT via holes. It's only necessary for the holes used by through-hole components.