Disabling the AGC in the K3 certainly does "do the trick" in terms of
preventing strong signals in the passband from reducing receiver gain
and thus affecting the weaker signal I'm decoding - that's exactly why
I do it.

As for ADC overload -that's a risk I'm well aware of but most of the
time it's a non-issue, for me at least. If it happened I would react
to it, but I rarely encounter signals in the passband at anywhere near
the level to cause trouble of that sort.

Bob NW8L