GW0ETF wrote:

> About to (finally) try out some RTTY/PSK31 using soundcard AFSK A/DATA A
> modes. Intuitively was going to run at reduced power being 100% duty cycle
> but have read in a couple of places (not the manual..) that you can run
> RTTY at full power (100w). Is this right and presumably it applies as well
> to PSK?

The K3 is rated for 100W key down for 10 minutes, Eric has actually stated
this, so you should be OK to run RTTY at that power. Having said that, I've
noted PA temperatures in the high 50s after shorter periods and about 50W
power, so I personally wouldn't want to try it. But that's what the spec
says. I'd certainly expect the fans to be going full blast at that power.

It really shouldn't be necessary to run PSK31 at such high power as most
other stations use 20 - 40W. Having said that, I have inadvertently
discovered (due to the power control issue discused at tedious length in
other threads) that the IMD is not unacceptable at 100W peak. At that power
level the K3 power meter will be showing 3 - 4 blobs while the signal is
modulated. The problem currently is that you can easily overdrive the PA
because the K3 can't be relied on to limit the power to 100W peak just
because you've set 100W on the dial. So to be on the safe side - especially
if you don't have a separate IMD meter to monitor your signal - I'd
recommend aiming for no more than 50W peak, which should show about 20W
average on a modulated PSK signal.

-----
Julian, G4ILO. K2 #392  K3 #222.
http://www.g4ilo.com/ G4ILO's Shack   http://www.ham-directory.com/ Ham