Hi Keith:

The Key Out relay is only energized during transmission. This is what you
would want for an amplifier. So for example if you turn your VOX off and
press your key or paddle, the Key Out relay will not energize. If you turn
your VOX on it will energize but you will also be transmitting. If you are
in normal VOX control, the Key Out relay will stay energized longer than
your key press based on your VOX delay setting. So it won't follow your dits
and dahs. I suppose if you turn QSK on, the Key Out will follow the dits and
dahs of your key presses or the internal keyer.

It was mentioned that Key Out is available on the accessory connector. I use
this output for an antenna relay and it is NOT identical to the Key Out jack
we have been discussing. First it is a transistor output with limited
current handling capability. You would need to construct a driver circuit to
interface to it. Second, it IS present when you are not transmitting. It
precisely follows the dits and dahs when VOX is turned off. When VOX is
turned on it has the normal VOX delay applied. I pointed this out to the
factory and Wayne wrote the following:
"This is how it works at present, but based on customer feedback, I may
change it".

73,
Mike K2MK