Eric,

Something to keep in mind with the WKUSB keyer, at least the one I installed
two years ago, is that the driver installation can be very unforgiving. I,
and others, had a heck of a time with them IF one doesn't EXACTLY follow the
installation instructions. Read, read and read again before doing
anything... Once installed the unit seems bulletproof.

This may not hold true with the latest models. I just bought a new one, for
mobile use with my K2.

Hope to catch you in the contests.. soon to be RTTY enabled here (FSK of
course) ;o)

73,
Julius

K7TV wrote:

> Hi Vic,
>
> In my opinion, Kok Chen and you have said it best so far.
> The bottom line is that someone could get perfect CW (without using audio)
> from older as well as newer computers, and could repeat the feat over and
> over
> on different machines, while another person has the opposite experience,
> and,
> as you point out, the difference has a *lot* to do with what else is
> running
> on
> the computer. It is very easy to assume that just because something is
> working
> repeatedly for one person, it would for another person. The computer
> industry
> has in effect promoted the belief that you just have to have a program and
> computer that are compatible, and you do the installation correctly, you
> can
> forget about what else you have on the computer. Not so. Even in the
> absence
> of unrelated software and hardware, small changes in the basic hardware
> configuration
> can make a big difference in outcome; a faster processor or larger memory
> is
> likely to work for you, but *can* work against you in some cases.
> What is the best approach depends a lot on personal circumstances. You
> mention gadget overload in the shack, and I have that too. You are
> apparently
> willing to strip your shack computer of all non-ham activities, and the
> computer
> then is a ham gadget, great! I assume you have another computer for email
> etc.
> In my case, my main computer is quite fast (quad 6600 processor) and it is
> located right next to my radios. It has 4 GB of memory, more than Vista 32
> can use. All the time I run several resource-heavy programs on it. Most of
> the time
> I get on the radio without any PC use at all, but I do use that same
> computer when
> once in a while I get on the digital modes. If I were to shut down a bunch
> of software
> before doing running ham software, I would be too lazy to bother doing it
> at
> all.
> I could add another computer for hamming, but that computer would then be
> ham gadget, and a much bulkier one than a WinKeyer. Now it so happens,
> maybe
> because of the many contesters on this list, I am beginning to get the
> itch
> to try
> contesting with software. The other day I downloaded and installed N1MM.
> The same day I placed an order for a WinKeyer. While my software and
> hardware today might allow me to be one of the lucky users who don't need
> [...]

-----
Julius Fazekas
N2WN

Tennessee Contest Group