Erik,

No you can use the paddles with N1MM and just the K3. The K1EL is for computer
generated CW.

Some of us have a hard enough time typing, tuning, using a key AND keeping up a
decent rate ;o)

For casual contesting, without using computer generated CW, you really don't
need WKUSB, the paddles will do it.

Julius Fazekas
N2WN

Tennessee Contest Group