Most of my contacts are QRP, despite having a 100W PA available.  I
was taught a long time ago to use only (about) as much power as was
needed to establish and maintain contact.  The operating method
usually entails starting at 2W and working up through 5W to see if the
contact will work out if I'm calling someone's CQ.  If I'm calling CQ,
I try for a while at the lowest setting and continue to work up over
time to 5W, sometimes 10W.  I seldom need to go over 5W though.

If the bands are dead, as they've been on/off recently, whether or not
you're using QRO or QRP, you can still just be talking to yourself.
That's OK, becase half the time the bands are dead it's because
everyone's convinced themselves that since they don't hear anything
there's nothing to hear.

I worked CQ WW DX a month after my K3/10 arrived, and had a great time
- but didn't break any of my own prior bests.  This was before having
the 100 W PA installed.  I had _never_ worked ZS before using < 100W
and did it on 8 Watts with a long wire.  Five other _new_ countries
(for me) also, mostly on 40m split.

All that being said, I find it quite difficult to break pileups with
QRP.  Always have.  Mostly timing and operating skills are used since
QRP can't truly stomp through a pileup of signals being received at
20-30 dB higher levels.  Mostly timing though.

QRP can make you work harder though, than QRO.  You don't have power
to use as a breaker bar, but you have everything else you've _learned_
about operating.  And after a while it isn't so difficult and kinda
fun to try low power first, then work up to what it takes to make and
maintain the contact.

QRP CW is actually amazing and can get surprisingly good results.  SSB
is not as forgiving and often has lower throughput.

QRP JT65 on 80m or 40m at night gets truly stellar results.

73,
matt W6NIA
K2 #2810
K3 #24