Gary:

No need to run for the cellar. Your question merits an answer.

Although you may find it hard to credit, I am primarily a QRP guy.

The main reason I need to be able to run in excess of 100 Watts is when
I do short haul (i.e., within my State of Maine) emergency and public
service communications on 80 meters. About 25% of the time, the
propagation conditions are not especially favorable for short haul
communications and it takes about 400 Watts to assure reasonably
reliable statewide coverage on 80 M. Ironically, at these same
unfavorable times for short haul, I can easily be heard in Europe with
100 Watts, or even QRP, on 80 meters.

Why go for an old tube type amp? I already own one; I bought it before
solid state high power amps were available to hams. A fancy new solid
state amp conveniently requires no tuning, but does require an
investment in the $1200-2000 range (if not more) that I can ill afford
(or so the XYL says, and her word is law in these matters) in these
difficult financial times.

73,

Steve
AA4AK