Umm, adding a second serial port won't help if both apps need to talk to
the K3!

Try running LP-Bridge, and connecting the two apps to (different)
virtual serial ports that it uses.

I don't use DX4WIN nor Digipan, but other combinations of apps seem to
work quite well.

http://www.telepostinc.com/LPB.html

     ~Iain / N6ML