Tnx Drew! That's how I learned it too, about 10 years after those recordings
were made.

It was reminiscent to hear them talk about "short sounds" and "long sounds"
and not dots or dits and dashes and dahs.

Many, many thousands of people entering military service who had never heard
Morse learned it quickly in that way.

I think it's important to note that none of those fellows were being trained
for speed, but rather for accuracy. Sure, some of them were able to develop
speeds well above 20 wpm over years of daily activity on the few circuits
that permitted it, but for most the objective was easy, accurate copy at
moderate speeds topping about at around 20 wpm, just as it is for majority
of Hams today who still "pound brass".

Since nearly all the code heard was sent by hand using a mechanical key, the
ability to copy Morse that wasn't quite "perfect" (sometimes nowhere near
perfect) was important as was the ability to send good Morse.

Ron AC7AC