> I have mentioned in the past that I have noticed, fairly
> frequently, that sometimes when first powering up my K3 the
> received audio sounds weak.  This evening I was listening to a 20M
> QSO between an LU and an LA, both S9.  I had the distinct notion
> that for the af gain setting the audio was not as loud as I would
> normally expect.

Hi Mike.

My K3 is left on most of the time so I haven't noticed it at startup
... But I did notice sporadic significant reductions in the audio
level on 30m the other evening.  At first I thought it was someone
tuning-up zero-beat on my frequency and triggering the AGC, but it
wasn't that.  Next I thought there might be an intermittent antenna
connection but the SWR was fine and the coax cables in the shack, at
least, are all fine.  I've had a similar problem in the past with a
sticky antenna change over relay in the amplifier (sometimes on going
to receive the RF level is way down because the relay hasn't properly
closed - a quick tap on the PTT usually fixes it, temporarily), but on
this occastion the S meter level looked normal.  So I'm foxed.

I haven't noticed it since.  If it happens again I'll take more notice
of what's happening and might even record it.

73
Gary  ZL2iFB

PS  The end literally dropped off my K3's AF knob yesterday as I
touched it - the knob appears to be crumbling like dry fruitcake.  It
hasn't been knocked or abused, just used normally.  Elecraft kindly
already sent me a set of replacement knobs due to the outer ring/knobs
cracking over month ago so now I really must make time to fit them!