Hi,

I believe you are referring to the Noise Reduction "NR" filter. I am afraid
that you have discovered that if this emperor has any clothes at all, they
are pretty skimpy. I have never seen a proper problem statement as to what
type of noise this filter is supposed to remove or reduce. Atmospheric noise
is pretty close to white gaussian random noise which cannot be removed by
any means. The effect of the NR filter is largely to provide a more pleasing
psycho-acoustic experience (maybe). This would explain the widely different
experiences people are having with this filter. My wish is for Elecraft to
stop using limited resources on this function. There are still serious
problems with maintaining power control on SSB. I am still experiencing and
seeing reports on the reflector that after certain actions (band change,
power change) power output is low and will only very slowly grow to the
demanded level unless you perform some other action such as transmitting a
single CW dit or a short squirt of RTTY power (which is what I do). This is
a real problem requring a solution.

AB2TC - Knut