Dan,

I see no need for a sub-woofer for use with the K3.
If you are running an amplifier, you may want to look at shielded
speakers (usually non-amplified) because those with amplifiers are
usually prone to RF problems.
The K3 has adequate audio to drive non-amplified speakers.  If you use
AFX or you have the subRX you will want 2 speakers, but there is no need
for any more than that, the K3 does not do Dolby Surround sound or
anything of that nature.

If you want great low-frequency bass response in shielded speakers you
may have to look to what is available in the pro-audio field, but for
only communications quality, the Motorola speakers available on Ebay or
at hamfests will do the job for you.

73,
Don W3FPR