Hi Dan:

>I am looking at speakers for my K3. I have looked
>At the various computer speakers but don't know
>Which of the many available would work best. Does
>Anyone have an opinion on which set is best :-).
>Also should I get a set with a sub?

Some (possibly many) PC speakers include internal amplifiers which can be
susceptible to RFI which results in "thumps 'n 'bumps in the night".

I have settled on a pair of (UNamplified) 8-Ohm Motorola mobile speakers
I bought off EBay for $5 each, plus shipping.  They are a very dark brown
case, which is almost dark enough to be taken for black, and match the K3
nicely.

Trying top plug two (2) separate (UNamplified) speakers into the single
1/8" stereo jack in the back of the K3 was getting to be a PITA... I had
two wires going different directions (L and R) RIGHT OUT OF THE BACK OF
THE K3, which made things a bit 'busier' than I wanted.  So I fabricated
a 'splitter' for the speakers... a single 2-wire/shielded cable (about
8" long) to a 1/8" stereo plug goes into the back of the K3. The cable
terminates in a small PC board containing two (2) 1/8" STEREO jacks of
which only the TIP and SLEEVE are used (RING = N/C). This allows me to
plug in speakers which are terminated in mono OR stereo jacks and to not
have to worry about possibly plugging a mono plug into the stereo jack
on the K3.  Yeah, I know, there have been mods for the K3 to prevent
damage if I mono plug was plugged into the stereo jack, but this helps
to ensure that I never do it regardless of the preventative mods!  It
also helps to get the two wires (to the two speakers) out and a bit away
from the immediate read of the K3, making wire 'congestion' a bit easier
to handle.  Thought I've not done so (yet), if there's any interest in
the 2-speaker 'splitter', I'll put the info out on my web site for general
access.

73,

Tom Hammond   N0SS