(Snip)
Actually the worst audio I have heard is from your new VK 10 WATT hams. They
either seem to be running ESSB or CB type audio with all knobs to the right! I
know its tough working DX with 10 watts however that does not excuse poor
operating practice.

I find it amazing that your authorities who deem these stations to be learners.
Yet at the same time the law allows them to transmit ESSB by doing mods to
their radios?  This should be illegal for beginners.

 I wonder why your authorities think that its ok  for a station that knows
nothing  about transmitters, and then allows them to removed SSB filters and
transmit SSB in 6khz? This is stupid to say the least. Here in Europe most
countries have 2.7khz SSB bandwidth limit. If I was running 10 watts the last
thing I would be doing is using ESSB to work DX.

I could probably work most of these 10 watt stations on 7mhz SSB if they did
not run ESSB. But it seems to be a thing that the new hams seems to love in VK?

I wish some of these 10 watt stations would share some of their antenna
engineering skills with the ham community. I have never heard so many loud 10
watt stations. Even in the hey day of 10 watt licenses in Japan during the peak
of the solar cycle they were never so loud! When a station can work you long
path on 7mhz with 10 watts and a dipole at 10 meters with a S9 signal you take
notice Hi

John
(End Snip)

Could not agree more.

NO...it IS ILLEGAL for these operators to run more than 10 watts, and also
illegal to modify a radio.

If only we could get foreign based information on the operators using ESSB and
suspect power levels to pass on to ACMA (our regulator) it would be
helpful?...(:-))

My comment on ssb audio was based on quite a large number of contesters during
the Oceania DX contest this past weekend and the vast majority of these signals
came out of Eastern Europe.

Please do make the leap to think I am being critical of any country OR the huge
number of quality sigs heard from ALL over the world. I am referring to about
30 odd stations that had audio that was difficult to understand fully on ssb ok?

I am not trying, or intending. To offend anyone, there are many great sounding
stations from all over the world and I get great pleasure in talking to them.

We have had ACMA pull a few F-call (4 letter suffixes only) licences this year
for running excessive power levels.

We have some "issues" in VK and I would never deny this.

As an aside...I hope my K3 sounds superb...(GRIN and tongue is firmly pressed
into my cheek)

Gary
Sent via BlackBerry® from Telstra