(Snip)
I'm not suggesting it's use on HF, I have an XV144 and would use this
on 2M SSB.

I think something that guys in the US perhaps don't appreciate is that
over in the UK, CB'rs don't have the same bad reputation as they
appear to over there. In fact a lot are now taking exams and getting
licenses and they are mostly good ops too. Well behaved etc.
And no, I'm not one of them, before you jump to conclusions.

I don't understand what is liddish about this, we aren’t talking about
long jingles or anything like that - just a very short tone as the PTT
comes off. And yes, we could buy the hardware to do this for us, or
use one of the software programs that do it, but I use a Mac and
haven't seen any that do for OSX.

And I'm not alone in using (or wanting to use) this feature, it's
quite prevalent in the EU. In poor VHF conditions, on 2M SSB over many
100s of KM (occasionally over 1000Km), it can be difficult to even hear
the other op, that's alone know when they have passed it over, the
tone helps with that.

--
73 de M0XDF
(End Snip)

I see a problem with HF, 2m ssb weak signal work may be different.
Perhaps it can help during ssb on 2m, but I would suggest that once the tone(s)
are activated the operator may intentionally or not, continue to tx these tones
for all transmissions....Pandora's Box springs to mind?

Personally, and I have the right to express my opinion do I not?, I do not
support ssb phone as a mode where a roger beep is either allowed or tolerated.

We are "experimenters" and as such we push the envelope in all facets of this
great hobby and there are those who simply enjoy the thrill of working another
station many miles or kilometres away and surely we can get by without the use
of roger beep style of operating.

We here in VK have operators (full call privileges included) who se the roger
beeps on HF, for example we hear one regularly on 30M sob phone and listening
to him I have noticed he puts out many calls with no response on an open band.
I wonder how he would go if he turned the roger beep off?...perhaps I should
ask him?

I went up 5Khz and placed one CQ and spent the next hour enjoying a good number
of contacts. When I periodically went to the frequency he was using I found him
still calling CQ...perhaps I am not a voice in the wilderness...(:-)

Gary
VK4WT/P in the Motorhome
Sent via BlackBerry® from Telstra