I don't understand why anyone would use USB mode to operate a sound card data
mode, and have all the bother of switching the input between the mic socket
and the back panel, when the K3 provides a data mode with EQ flat and
compression off specifically for that purpose.

Surely using a digimode set up for SSB with ALC operating and 20dB of
compression is going to cause distortion and splatter? Admittedly, JT65A
isn't PSK31 but even so I would have thought IMD products would occur,
though if you are operating on some VHF band and not the crowded digital
sector of 20m perhaps no-one will be bothered?

I find my K3 produces more than ample output to drive sound card apps. I am
currently using LIN OUT = 10. In fact if I use much higher levels clipping
occurs somwhere and I see harmonics on the waterfall spectrum.

On transmit the wave and master output sliders of my SB Live 24 card are set
to just below half way and the LINE level is currently set to 7. So I cannot
explain why you find the K3 line input insensitive or a lack of drive on
receive.

-----
Julian, G4ILO. K2 #392  K3 #222.
* G4ILO's Shack - http://www.g4ilo.com