G'day,

6M configuration:

5el Yagi at 50 feet, approx 150 feet of Ecoflex 10 coax 1.5-2dB
loss.  K3 with PR6.

Antenna pointing north over the harbour and open country, no S-meter
reading but upon removal the antenna RX noise fell by 8-9dB as
displayed by the K3 dBV. (PRE and PR6 on, 400Hz bandwidth).  It is
not always so quiet.

Monitoring beacon LU5EGY in Buenos Aires, approx 1900km distant.

In order of improving copy:

Pre    PR6   Copy
N       N      Nil
Y       N      ESP Copied call with difficulty
N       Y      ESP+ Copied call easily
Y       Y      Easy copy

I tried the effect of NR with a setting of F1-2 and it was very
interesting.   If the signal is very week then enabling NR
extinguished the CWT marker and nothing was heard.  Only when the
CWT marker remained did NR have any noticeable effect on the signal.
In the above cascade of tests enabling NR resulted in a significant
improvement in ease of copy (quiet background) when both PRE and PR6
were on.

Further it was interesting to note that for me 400Hz BW was not the
best copy.  Reducing BW to 50-150Hz (500Hz roofing) or increasing to
600-700Hz (2k7 roofing) was certainly much easier to listen to.
With the wider BW the residual noise was certainly less
harsh/granular, more smooth/rounded sounding.  Sidetone frequency
600Hz.

Tuesday evening I had a QSL with a station in BA who was running 1W
to a simple wire antenna and was S9.  I reduced output to 1W and was
also copied OK.

I hope this is of some use.

Regards,

Mike VP8NO