I will add my voice to the unanimous "use a preamp" crowd.

I also run the PR6 on 6M, and agree it's an excellent preamp. It also
integrates seamlessly with the K3, which isn't the case with a third party
preamp. More often than not I also run the internal preamp as well. The
internal preamp by itself typically isn't sufficient to make weaker signals
copyable. When the e-skip signals are pounding in at 20 or more over 9, then
I will back off the preamps as they're not needed and the extra gain
overwhelms the front end.

73,

Lou, W0FK

rfenabled wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Well I just completed my first 6M contest this past weekend and found it
> quite good.
>
> There was some time ago a lot of comments on the K3's sensitivity on 6M.
>
> The result was Elecraft produced a pre-amp and not much comment has been
> seen since.
>
> If anyone on the list is a 6m operator with a pre-amp it would be good if
> they could contact me off list and let me know what they think of running
> with or without the pre-amp...
>
> I don't wish to clog the reflector with this topic.
>
> Regards
> Gary
> VK4WT
> Sent via BlackBerry® from Telstra