LSB on the lower bands and USB on the higher bands is an artifact of
the mixing scheme, from the early days of SSB, of a 9 Mc IF mixed with
a 5.0 - 5.5 Mc VFO. (Yes, it was Mc in those days, not MHz.) Add and
you get 20m. Subtract and you get 80m. The subtraction results in
sideband reversal and so LSB became the "standard" for 80m. There is
really no reason now to not to just operate USB on all bands other
than tradition.

On CW, the standard among CW DXers has always been USB CW because it
means that the higher the tone, the higher the frequency. Intuitively
useful when tuning a split pile up. Just as clockwise rotation of the
VFO knob means higher frequency.

I operate USB on RTTY for that same reason, even though the "standard"
is LSB. The stations I work on RTTY don't know that I'm USB.

It is curious that normal CW for the K3 is LSB. I'm sure Elecraft had
their reasons. My K3 is always in CW REV mode.

73! Steve WB6RSE