On the other hand, maybe you'd want to use someone else's K3 and they
might object to having their settings changed.  At one time, I was a
fairly big gun contester; I'm not now but I might operate multi-op which
I've done before.  My old rig is a very modified FT-101E with good
dynamic range as a result of mixer, blanker, and IF changes, great
selectivity owing to adding the speech clipper to the IF, plus other
changes and the same opposite tuning plus the orignal finals lasted34
years.  For an analog rig, it still does pretty much what I want.  That
said, it hasn't been turned on since I got my K3.  I've considered using
it as a second "IF" for second receiver purposes and for noise
clipper/blanker experiments but that priority is declining steadily.
It's not worth selling and the mods would frighten almost all potential
buyers.  I hand made a board to follow the speech processor that Yaesu
didn't include until later and it's UGLY.  I can still repair it, it
still works.  I'm sure Yaesu wouldn't touch it; will they still repair
the 1000; I've heard some discouraging things about part availability.
I've offered it to a semi-interested grand-daughter but she's too busy
with school, soccer, bicycle racing, drama, etc..  Let it be a beloved
spare or maybe just.tune it with the other hand (saith the left hand
person who was forced to be right handed in elementary school, the
consequence of living in the third world).

I currently have the 101 in it's usual spot on my left and the K3 in a
new spot on my right.  Both work; dyslexia isn't all bad.  Maybe I
should run coax to the 101 and use both simultaneously.  If only I was
schizophrenic.

The question that Wayne and crew are perhaps asking is what's the
priority and how much work is it.  I'm happy; it's taken me to months to
adjust.

;-))

Dunc, W5DC