Hi Greg,
 From what you describe (below), either your K3 is malfunctioning or
you're not pushing the correct TUNE button (XMIT/TUNE vs. ATU TUNE).  If
you set CONFIG TUN PWR to 08.0 and _hold_ the XMIT/TUNE button, the K3
should switch to CW mode and output a carrier at a RF level of 8 Watts.
_Tapping_ the XMIT/TUNE button will return the K3 to its previous mode
and power output setting.  For example, if you are operating LSB with a
power settings of 100 watts, press and _hold_ the XMIT/TUNE button and
the K3 will change from LSB to CW mode, with a keyed carrier of 8
watts.  Tap XMIT/TUNE to exit the TUNE mode and the K3 will return to
LSB mode and the power will be set to its previous value of 100 watts.

If your K3 is not working as I have described then you may want to
contact k3supp...@elecraft.com for help correcting the problem.

Best of luck,
Frank - W6NEK