Hello John,

Thanks for your comments and  I understand what you would like to express.

However, I agree with the previous writer, VE7XF, that Elecraft should tell us
the difference of DSP Rev D before Vs after modification.  All the information
is just piece meal and scattered among emails and Elecraft website.

I know it must be good, otherwise, no modification is required.
However, Elecraft should tell me how good it will be, BDR, MDS ???  Of course,
I owned a K3 and still have a K2, I understand the continuous improvement of
Elecraft products.  Again, as a customer, I still like to know what benefit I
shall get from the DSP Rev D modification.

Similar to every firmware upgrade, Elecraft gives a brief description of the
improved areas.  So, why should they not do the same for the DSP Rev D
modification?

The answer to my questions in my previous email should be simple and will only
take Elecraft a few minutes to address them.  They are the designers and well
known why modifications are required and what benefits can be achieved.

I am not a radio man by profession and really want to learn more radio
knowledge from them so as to educate myself.

73 & HNY

Johnny Siu VR2XMC

----- 郵件原件 ----
寄件人﹕ juergen <plebia...@yahoo.com>
收件人﹕ Elecraft@mailman.qth.net
傳送日期﹕ 2010/1/1 (五) 6:47:37 PM
主題: Re: [Elecraft] Re: K3 DIY DSP Rev D - please elaborate

Hi Johnny

I have seen many subtle improvements in the K3's receiver  with the many
successive firmware upgrades. There is no supporting  documentary evidence from
Elecraft for these subtle changes or improvements that I have noticed.

I have worn out a coaxial switch comparing and testing K3's to other radios.
When you have access to  as many K3's as I do, all with different serial
numbers with which you can play with, upgrade and compare. They belong to my
radio club BTW.. The improvements that I am seeing is not entirely in my
imagination. I am sure that many of the improvements comes about because of
better DSP techniques  and algorithms thats  implemented and not mentioned by
Elecraft.

SDR techniques and how they are applied to an individual product is not an
exact science. I am sure Elecraft has developed many of its own techniques and
algorithms  for its DSP library. These will never ever be revealed or
discussed  as its their intellectual property.

I own a Watkins Johnson HF1000 and it was returned several times to their
factory for updates. The receiver would return and the DSP and receiver would
be magically better. When I discussed this once on the phone with one of their
engineers, his comments were that  that they were improving and tesing new DSP
techniques all the time. His comments were also that these would never be
discussed  nor would the information ever be released to the public. I am sure
its the same with Elecraft.

Another product like this with propriety DSP techniques is the Perseus, I am
sure that there are many who would like to get their hands on some of Niko's
code. I had the opportunity to compare a Rohde-Schwarz DSP receiver to the
Perseus, and let me tell you that the Perseus was a lot better. Now  if a
company like Rohde-Schwarz cant beat a  one man show like  Microtelecom it
tells you that DSP programming is  not as straightforward as many want you to
believe especially when it applies to HF receivers.

I think the best bet is to keep your K3 updated with  all the mods and
upgrades. You will be getting many things for free thats not even mentioned.
The small price for the DSP upgrade is minimal compared to what other companies
would be charging you for a similar upgrade, thats if you would even get such
an opportunity. Certainly if it came from Yaesu or Icom you would have to ship
the radio back to the factory. Look at the costly exercise that  FT9000 owners
went through for the  PEP and factory upgrade program. By all accounts that
transformed the FT9000 into a new radio.

If you own a K3, the ticket price for continual improvement is beer money.
While I  have to also pay expensive  shipping, I still consider  it to  be
cheap way out for a better product in the end  analysis. I certainly will be
trying and upgrading all our clubs K3's with the upgraded DSP board.

73
John