From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Randy Downs
Sent: Sunday, January 10, 2010 6:21 AM
To: Elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: [Elecraft] K3 how often do you use it?

Well it seems K3 users put more mileage than some people think on
there radios. I think people buy with there ego more than with there
brains. So I guess this gentleman was correct in saying that Elecraft
has failed at looking at marketing. The first design criteria should
have been looks, second transmit power, and third weight/size of the
radio and lastly using depleted uranium for the knob.  This is my
first Elecraft product when I bought my 2 K3's. I'll be honest I never
looked at Elecraft before as the K2 looked to be a toy. It took a bad
experience with the purchase of a newly released radio a couple of
years ago to make me  take a look at the newly announced K3. I have
had so many rigs and it seems they all had issues and had to be
modified to fix the problems. Such as the nb being on all of the time
on unnamed yaesu models, very bad cw clicks, wax that got in to
trimmer caps, ( although I did keep the Ic-765 as the rx was good on
this one), glue that became conductive after a time frame, just to
name a few. It seemed normal for so long. Now don't get me wrong,
Elecraft has made some hardware changes as well as firmware changes to
make things better. But they respond and respond quickly to user input
most of the time. I would like to see a "big radio" when I set down at
the bench but after using it for well over a year now I don't miss it.
I would miss the performance though.   I'm no big gun, I'm not into
contesting, but when sunspots are cooking and I want to be able to use
my rig without the front end being blasted with desense, then I am
very happy with my purchase choice. In the past on other rigs I have
actually had to turn the rig off and go do something else.  I guess we
should end this thread but I wanted to see if I was missing something
here. I do believe Elecraft may want to look at marketing differently.
Maybe they could  have scantily clad girls hand out hats. No never
mind. Thanks for all the answers guys.
Randy
K8RDD