> I find the K3 pretty much the ideal size for my
> purposes. The front panel is not cluttered but
> comprehensive enough that there is little need
> for daily changes to menu items.

In the future, hopefully we'll see detachable front panels where a small or
large stand-alone panel format cold be purchased as an option, depending on
user operating conditions.  For
base use, a panel loaded with extra buttons could be used to bring secondary
functions onto their own button (e.g., "A=>B" and "SPLIT").  Then, when its
time to operate portable, detach the panel and take the base K3 unit into
the field (or mobile) using a smaller panel.

In the case of the TS-480, Kenwood accomplishes functionality of all
controls, menus and buttons on one 57 kbps serial buss.  This makes it easy
for its owners to detach the control panel and plug it into a serial-to-USB
port so that the TS-480 panel can be plugged right into a notebook PC.  It's
great having access to a real panel with VFO to spin while operating
Internet remote.

In the case of the K3, I haven't looked much at the panel connectivity but
it should be possible to simply detach the K3 front panel and insert a
black-faced front onto it with say an RJ-45 for the convenience of Ethernet
cabling.  The cable would then connect on the other end to the control panel
size of your choice or to a serial-to-USB converter (as in the TS-480
example) to take a panel with you and run remote.

I have to believe that if demand were strong enough, Elecraft could quickly
whip-up an optional black panel for the K3 as well as a choice of small and
large stand-alone panels.  The small panel could leverage what's already
available on the current panel.

I'll go on record for ordering the first complete set!

Paul, W9AC