Phil,

It is quite normal for the S-meter reading to increase when the RF gain
is reduced.  The AGC voltage (which drives the S-meter) is increased to
reduce the gain of the receiver when the RF Gain is reduced - so the
S-meter indication goes up.

The way I tend to think of it is - there is already an S-3 level of
atmospheric (and locally generated) noise on a particular band, so I
reduce the RF Gain until the S-meter reads S-3 and the band noise does
not bother me.  Signals stronger than the band noise will still make the
S-meter increase, so I can still see a relative signal strength reading
between stations.

If you want to reduce the signal level into the K3 without changing the
S-meter, set the menu to S-MTR ABS (S-meter absolute) and turn off the
preamp and possibly turn on the Attenuator.  In ABS mode, the S-meter
will not change with preamp or attenuator on/off, but it will still rise
with reduction of the RF Gain.  For maximum performance on any
particular band, if you can hear the band noise (with no signal
present), turn the preamp off (it is not needed and is detrimental to
the receiver dynamic range) - if the band noise is still present, turn
on the attenuator.  If you can still hear the band noise, reduce the RF
gain to the point where the band noise is just barely audible - that is
the maximum sensitivity setting that can be used for that band.  Note
than this optimum setting will change from time to time, and from band
to band.  The K3 has more than ample gain so it can hear very weak
signals - if the band noise is high, you are unlikely to hear signals
below that band noise level, so it is wise to reduce the receiver gain
to keep the receiver from sounding "noisy".

This is different than squelch.  Squelch totally silences (mutes) the
receiver until a signal greater than the level set by the squelch
control is exceeded.

Does that help?

73,
Don W3FPR