Al,

To look at it another way - look at the S-meter to observe the band
noise level, and then back off the RF gain until the S-meter is steady
at that same S-meter reading.  Of course, this should be done at a spot
in the band where no signals are present.

That is a quick way to determine the optimum setting for the RF Gain
consistent with the greatest receiver dynamic range and one does not
have to listen to the constant band noise clutter.

The other option is to just run with "all knobs full right" and put up
with listening to the band noise when there are gaps in the signal level.

Be aware that the AGC Threshold will also have a great effect on the
amount of band noise heard in the audio.  If the Threshold is set too
low, the receiver will go into AGC action on only the band noise.  I use
an AGC Threshold setting of 008 just for that reason (I know the default
is 005, but I think that is too low).

73,
Don W3FPR