Barry, Sorry but what do you mean by 'high isolation headphones'.   Would
the Heil Pro-Set Plus do?
                 73 Doug EI2CN

-----Original Message-----
From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Barry N1EU
Sent: 07 February 2010 01:01
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] K3 in a cw pileup - needs work

Barry N1EU wrote:

> You need to maximize your rf/af dynamic range - that is what is going to
> turn that mush into a beautiful symphony of distinct signals of varying
> levels.  What has worked well for me is AGC off (although AGC on works
> fine as well), high isolation headphones, and the gain throttling
> techniques (most important) described by K3NA, W4ZV, myself, and others.

Just to continue from previous post - I experienced only mush in pileup
reception until fully adopting this technique.  High isolation headphones
are critical because you want to set gain such that weak signals are lightly
heard but clearly copiable.  You're maximizing the receive dynamic range
delivered to your ears and the high isolation means you can clearly hear
fainter signals without turning up the gain and squashing the dynamic range
(and too frequently engaging AF Limiter with AGC Off).

73,
Barry N1EU