Hi Richard,

The "Dance" referred to the posted conversations about AGC, not
changing settings while operating the K3.  The only time I monkey with
DSP and the AGC is when I'm testing something out.  And before all the
testing the last couple of weeks, I had not changed the AGC settings
in over a year. Likewise I had not changed where PRE/ATT are set per
band since that's been available. I never need to touch AGC or DSP
config settings in a contest. I change the RF gain occasionally as a
band opens and closes, but not really that much.

I am well acquainted with MP's. I would agree with you on the MP's
AGC, to a point. The MP's audio was smooth.  I still own an MP and use
it from time to time (as I do a 75A3 and a Yaesu FT101ZD).  I have
used maybe ten different MP's over the last decade, but it has been
forever replaced as the prime rig by the K3.

At NY4A when we gather for the multi/op DX contest operations, for a
decade we brought in extra MP's to go with Howie's MP's. My MP was the
first one we used out there. We did all the key-click mods, did the
AGC mod where the MP's fast AGC was TOO fast on CW and mushed the CW
in pileups (sound familiar?).  In the K3 that's a setting and a
choice.

There have been 10 different operators out at the DX wars at NY4A over
the decade, all serious contest guys, with wins in ARRL and CQ DX and
WPX.  Among them they owned 9 MP's.

Two MP owners (3 MP's) are no longer active on the bands. The other
six MPs are replaced with K3's. Among the 8 operators still active
there are 7 K3's, an eighth K3 that we hope will be built for the ARRL
DX CW, and one op is waiting for a budget opportunity to replace his
Pro III with a ninth K3 for the diversity on 160. One of the ops
replaced his Kenwood main rig with an Orion II which he prefers over
the K3 but now only brings to NY4A as a backup in case we blow up a
position. We have used his Orion at a run position several times but
most of the ops originally found it hard to get used to, and the menu
RF gain was a never-ending source of confusion the first time anyone
used it. Those of us who have learned the Orion have no qualms about
using it.

Yet six of the seven ops who used both a K3 and an Orion bought K3's.

One thing that NOBODY misses from the MP days is the extra layer of
crud at the bottom of every band added by its RF/IF string. K3
complaints have been dealt with by mods and firmware changes.  Howie
is happy with his two fairly early K3's and has to be goaded into
updating his firmware so that we're all at the same level and don't
lose features we've gotten used to.

73, Guy.