Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2010 09:08:14 -0800
From: ml-node+4566946-827498...@n2.nabble.com
To: ronce...@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: Elecraft P3 panadapter at the Orlando Hamcation

"What drives the price of a new product more than anything is marketing.
Microsoft could sell Windows 7 at profit for 50 cents but charges $149.00. The
P-3 price is being defined here on the reflector by those of us who are so
enthusiastic about Elecraft;...The P-3 could sell for a few hundred dollars at
profit, similar to other panadapters. Instead, we are talking about more than
double that price."

This is just plain silly.

First, Microsoft could sell Windows 7 at $300. Why? Because it can. Because it
has a by far dominant position in the market. Because people and corporate
entities will pay for it. Because Microsoft is in the business to make money.

Second, I would wager that you, like most of us, have very little factual
insight into Elecraft's cost structure including: R&D, manufacturing, product
marketing, distribution and order fulfillment, warranty support and on-going
customer support. Further, we have no insight into what return on investment
Elecraft's management and investors expect to see with each new product plan
and commercial launch. Subsequently, apart from market forces (competitive
products and pricing, demand, etc.) P3 pricing is going to be highly dependent
upon Elecraft pricing and margin requirements far beyond "price being defined
here on the reflector..." I can assure you the probability is very great that
if pricing was defined by the reflector Elecraft and many other vendors would
not be in business.

Third, and related above, "the P3 could sell for a few hundred dollars at
profit..." Don't know how you can make this claim. Further, what other
panadaptors? SDR-IQ is a specialty device intended for a market far broader
than "panadaptor" and the ham community and is highly dependent upon 3rd party
software, PC processing, etc. Softrock and LP-Post implementations are more kit
oriented also requiring additional 3rd party content. The P3, on the other
hand, appears to be designed as (a) integrated with the K3 and (b)
self-contained hardware implementation (sort of guessing here as no real
specifics released). The only recent and maybe relative comparison would be the
Yaesu DMU-2000(at $750 to $850) as an outboard, dedicated accessory (although I
would wager the P3 implementation will be far superior with respect to
technology platform and panadaptor functionality).

Keep in mind that while Elecraft's innovation, R&D quality, manufacturing
quality, etc. sets the company apart from many other vendors in our hobby, the
company has to make money not only to keep its owners happy but to plow back
into the business. Don't think of it as a non-profit for the ham community.

Harry WE1X

View message @
http://n2.nabble.com/Elecraft-P3-panadapter-at-the-Orlando-Hamcation-tp4564111p4566946.html

To unsubscribe from Re: Elecraft P3 panadapter at the Orlando Hamcation, click
here.