Sure I can comment on the origin of parts:

There is nothing one can do about the origin of the parts...  I work in
the electronics design industry as well and there really is nothing you
can build if you're only willing to use parts made in the USA.  But
there is a LOT to be said about designed and manufactured locally.  Its
more expensive but it does give you better control to more quickly
respond to problems.  And I don't just mean "made in the USA" I mean
made where the design team is.

I'm not pulling the whole USA is better than anyone else in everything
garbage.  I just feel that if the design team is in Germany that the
best place to make it is Germany if you want quality and the ability to
quickly respond to issues.  Same holds true if a product is designed in
China.

~Brett