Bill,
     I have a K3 that sits 13 miles away from me. It remotes very well.
There are several ways to remote the K3, or any rig. You can use a
computer at the remote site, and use Logmein or the likes for
controlling the computer and then use Skype or IP Sound for audio. That
works, but there are practical limitations.
     I use the Remote Rig 1258MkII, made in Sweden.
http://www.remoterig.com/
     I then use either Ham Radio Deluxe or TRX to drive the Remote Rig
which then talks to the K3.. The nice thing about the Remote Rig, is
that you really don't need a computer at the remote site. Here, with
electricity around 8 cents/khw, leaving a computer on 24/7 will cost
around $ 60 a year. Also, the Remote rig has its own audio path,
essentially 3 channels of data/rs-232, and, most important to me, a
dedicated PTT line. I like to use a hand switch (old nurse call button)
or the foot switch, Right now the K3 is only on 6 meters. I have a 40
foot tower with a M2 5 element on it, but the tower is on the highest
hill in the area, whereas I live at river height, about 350 feet lower.
   By trade I am a radio broadcast engineer, so I remote control a lot
of stuff. I can turn the computer at the site on and off, switch audio
and control around, from home, or if I am on the road, from my laptop.
     Best story is when I was in Texas on work once (I am in Michigan),
and I listened into my remote from Texas, and six was open to Texas.
But, I head K8AJ working the Texans, so I called her. Freaked her out!
(K8AJ is my lovely wife, who bought me my first Elecraft for my 50th
birthday!).

    If your friend or anyone else has any questions using the Remote Rig
with the K3, I would be very happy to help off list.

     Tom K8TB