and then repeat the test with the fan direction reversed, how much
of a temperature delta would you expect?

[Elecraft] K3 Cooling
Don Wilhelm w3fpr at embarqmail.com
Mon Apr 5 15:20:41 EDT 2010

Don,

In my fluid mechanics labs it became apparent that exhaust cooling is
much more effective than forced cooling for situations that are similar
to the K3 PA 'cage'.
First is that the exhaust fan does not add to the temperature of the
air, and second, the flow can be more easily controlled.  The exhaust
fans remove heated air from the hottest spots - who cares where the
cooler makeup air comes from, it can be supplied from any vent holes in
the cabinet.

As humans, this is counter-intuitive because we feel cooler with air
blowing onto us, but that is mainly because of evaporation cooling, not
air flow.  We do not usually feel cooler standing on the other side of a
fan.  Electronics do not have that evaporative cooling effect (unless
you have poured a liquid on the electronics!), so in most cases, exhaust
cooling near the heated areas does a better job.

If you question the fact that a fan adds heat to the air-stream, measure
the temperature on the upstream side of a fan and the downstream side.
I can assure you that the downstream air is warmer - the fan provides
work to move the air, so it must heat the air because of that work-force
(it is not the heat of the fan motor that I am referring to, but the
motor heat may be present too.

One can design to contain the flow on the downstream side of the fan,
but I see no air channel (pipe) in the K3 to accomplish that.  With old
vacuum tube designs, we often used fans to pressurize the area below the
chassis and direct the flow up around the tubes with chimneys around the
tubes.

73,
Don W3FPR