I'm with Joe on this:

microKEYER has nothing to do with the K3DVR system!  Personally, I don't own
a K3DVR, I don't need one, I have a microKEYER and N1MM (even N3FJP ACLog
has a built in DVK via the computer!)

Part of this audio level gaga is that few take the time to set all the
levels correctly in hardware AND software on the microKEYERs.  There are
level pots within both products to set the hardware level IN ADDITION to
level adjust capability with the Windows software mixer panes in both
Transmit and Receive.

I know Joe covers this in his manuals quite well, but I always set the
software levels at 50 % and adjust the hardware level pot (or pots, in the
case of MKII) to get what I consider "normal" levels.  You can then trim the
levels using the software controls for the final settings. This may not be
to Joe's standard, but it works for me, and I never get hiss or distortion.

I've found in my experience, that most people don't touch the hardware pots
and expect the software mixer controls to do the whole thing.  Although the
sound card in MKII is rather forgiving, setting the hardware level in the
right ballpark first goes a long way in reducing noise, hiss and distortion
problems.

At NQ4I, Rick and I recently went through every rig, set the hardware pot,
then adjusted the windows control panel on the MKI systems.  We also
standardized on the same exact sound card in every computer to make matters
simple.  This has vastly improved repeatability of settings at that station
(Orion 1's, a couple of straggling Yaesu Mk5's, plus K3's from K4PK and me).
We made sure that the audio levels and EQ are consistent across all
positions.

BTW, WinTest only has 4 DVK buttons (that I know of. there may be more
somewhere)  All of Rick's radios run the mic through the sound card, so we
can record messages "on the fly" as we transmit them. (Shift-F(N) does it).

I use a MKI with my Kenwood TS570 with a C-Media USB sound card, and no
issues.  On the K3, I have the MKII.  AAMOF, I no longer record any DVK
anywhere but through the microKEYER 2's mic input.  My DVK audio on both
rigs is indistinguishable from my live audio.  I always use the same mic I
use on air and do not do any processing when recording to disk.  The only
processing happens when the DVK is being transmitted on air, using the same
path as live mic audio.

I fail to understand why this is such a problem to people!  The flexibility
of recording and playing back through the computer means never having to run
out of record media or have to program macro sequences on N1MM to fire the
K3 DVK with some attendant issues (such as N1MM having no feedback from K3
about the message condition)!  Its just so much easier, and convenient, to
do it within the computer (in a contest, when there is a computer
available), ESPECIALLY with the MKII's built in sound card.

-lu-w4lt-

Message: 26