The thumping could either be you've got the NB on too heavy a setting, or you
have someone just outside of your filter skirts. IE, you have 100Hz set and
some one really strong is out around 150 or even 200hz to your side. That tends
to cause the type of "thumping" sound you're talking about.
As for the send and receiving of CW at those speeeds. Yes, you CAN do it with a
good keyer.. and Yes, you do decode it with your brain... Keep in mind, if you
can only copy 15 wpm, 25wpm sounds like 100wpm.. if you can do 45wpm, 55 or
60wpm starts sounding fast to you.. So, it's all realitive to your speed that
you can already go. Keep up your code and you'll get there soon enough... well,
okay 45 is good enough...Hi hi.. 73

> From: jimmil...@stl-online.net
> To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
> Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 13:54:57 -0500
> Subject: [Elecraft] QRQ
>
> OK, Guys, I'm a newbe to ham(18 years) compared. And I have been avoiding CW
> until the past few months (after passing my 20 word test for my extra(16
> years ago!)). This spring I started Triple Play to force myself to get
> serious on CW and it has been uphill all the way but I am gaining on it
> (still missing 15 states CW on LOTW).
>
> QRQ? High speed CW ?? OK, so how do you get to 60 or 100 WPM anyway? PC or at
> least keyboard input? I can't imagine accuracy for copyable code being input
> via paddle above maybe 40 wpm or so. Also, PC for decode even up to 100 wpm
> or is that by ear !!! ?
>
> Also, during the contests I sometimes hear cw going so fast all that is heard
> is "thumping", there is no tone whatsoever being transmitted. Do I have
> something set wrong or are some radios prone to transmit like this? These are
> not close in stations (579 or so) so it shouldn't be overload and backing off
> the rf gain doesn't make it any different.
>
> Thanks, de Jim KG0KP

inbox. See how.