Jim,

That is the norm only for DATA modes where you would not want to
activate the ALC.
For SSB and other speech modes, drive the ALC meter to 5 - 7 bars with
the Compression set to zero and a normal voice.  See the manual page
28.  Best results are when you are kicking up to 7 bars on voice peaks.

73,
Don W3FPR