At 04:29 PM 11/25/2008, Jonathan Lundell wrote:
On Nov 25, 2008, at 1:19 PM, Markus Schulze wrote:

Or are only IRV supporters allowed to use polling data
to show the greatness of IRV, while advocates of other
methods have to use complete ballot data?

I think we must be careful about using polling data when we're
comparing election methods in which voters have different strategic
motivations, and that taking sufficient care may preclude drawing firm
conclusions.

Absolutely; however, the difference in "strategic motivation" between three-rank IRV (as is used in the U.S.) and top-two runoff is practically nil. The vast majority of voters simply vote sincerely, I'm sure, in both methods. They will vote in the first round of top-two runoff for their favorite, almost certainly. Strategic voting (such as turkey-raising) can backfire, you know. Make a mistake, you might end up with a turkey. Top two runoff allows the voter to postpone the decision of who to rank "second."

I just saw the video from the San Francisco Department of Elections, 2006, that said it elects winners with a "majority." No qualifier. Not majority after excluding exhausted ballots. A lot of people, including officials and others who should know better, *including opponents of IRV*, were hornswoggled. If IRV were to actually be a majority method, as claimed, i.e., if it continued to require a true majority, it would be a much better method. I.e., top-two runoff IRV. Instead, San Francisco gets Plurality results for a far higher cost than Plurality. Basically, SF could have gotten the same result by eliminating the majority requirement. There is not one election that that has turned out differenty.

Would Plurality voters have voted the same as in IRV. Most of them would have, I'm pretty sure. The difference would be fewer votes for minor candidates, and the rations between the frontrunners would generally have remained the same. Voting systems analysts have generally thought of factional elections, where supporters of a minor candidate will, almost entirely, vote for only one of the two frontrunners, where vote-splitting only affects one side. In elections with a lot of candidates, there are likely to be vote-splits that cuts both ways. The Nader effect in Florida, for example, would have been countered to some degree by the effect from Libertarian and other candidates. We really don't know what would have happened had Florida been IRV or another method allowing more than one vote.

Personally, I don't think that any available single-winner method, IRV
not excepted, is particularly "great", though I prefer ranked-ordinal
methods to FPTP or TTR.

It's almost certainly true that TTR has generally better results than IRV. Essentially, when needed, two ballots are better than one. Three would be better than two! Democratic process skips all this crap and iterates binary decisions, with a majority requirement to make any decision. It continues to iterate until a majority is found, or a majority decides to adjourn....

None of the Above is always on the ballot with true democratic elections, and doesn't have to be a named candidate. With Approval, for example, just write it in! Lizard People would have been fine.

 My mild preference for IRV over Condorcet
methods (and stronger preference over approval and range) has to do
with wanting to keep strategic voter considerations to a minimum. That
ends up being a somewhat subjective and intuitive conclusion; at least
that's how I see it.

Yeah. Unfortunately, "intuition" sucks when its been misled by centuries of diffuse propaganda and simple habitual assumptions, plus a boatload of very targeted spin-doctrine actively promoted recently. You want to minimize strategic voting, why not use methods designed to do exactly that, to the point where it is debatable whether what remains is "strategic voting" or "harmful" at all?

Why *prohibit* voters from equal ranking? Why do you imagine that you get better results by confining the voters without clear cause? IRV with equal ranking allowed: much better! It would allow voters to vote Approval style or Ranked style, whichever they prefer. Power to the Voters! Count All the Votes!