Abd ul-Rahman Lomax wrote:

But want simple and maximally powerful? Asset Voting. Terminally simple as a voting method. Ideal strategy: identify the eligible person (could be yourself!) whom you most trust to make a good decision in your absence, because you will be absent, as a voter, until the next election. Vote for that person, period. There is no reason to vote for anyone else, at all. Can't decide between two? Vote for both, the system will divide your vote between them. But I suggest that only to avoid tossing out the vote, I see no other reason to put that in. We are deciding *representation*, not a final decision. If we were limited to a small candidate set, then we'd want to be able to create virtual committees by voting for more than one. But we need not be limited to such a small candidate set.

The persons receiving votes in Asset become public voters, I usually call them electors. There are a lot of uses for this, and it goes far beyond single winner elections. Asset was first designed as a tweak to STV, by Lewis Carroll, to deal with the very serious problem of exhausted ballots. It was a much better fix than the Australian one of requiring full ranking, which essentially coerces votes out of people who don't have the knowledge to do deep ranking. And who clearly would rather not, as we see where full ranking is optional, as with Queensland, for example.

Something I've always wondered about Asset Voting. Say you have a very selfish electorate who all vote for themselves (or for their friends). From what I understand, those voted for in the first round become the electors who decide among themselves who to pick for the final decision. Wouldn't this produce a very large "parliament"?

Perhaps the situation that the voters vote for themselves is unlikely, but some of the problem remains. Asset's advantage is supposed to be (again, as far as I understand it) that it involves more people than would be directly elected. So if it involves too few, that's a problem, but if it involves too many, that's a problem as well because the deliberative process doesn't scale.

How's that solved?