At 11:22 AM 1/15/2010, robert bristow-johnson wrote:
(about a voting security expert)
you are in the rabid anti-IRV party.

Robert, your slip is showing.

Experts in various fields tend to be strongly against IRV. Political activists who are working for IRV tend to see strong opposition as "rabid." You want to see rabid opposition, you'll have to look elsewhere, though.

I'm thinking over the opposition material. It might look rabid to someone who isn't aware of the problems, and there are some opponents who can lose perspective, but the more I learned about IRV, the more I realized what damage it can do. It's not as simple as being a terrible system. In some ways, it isn't terrible, in terms of results. But there are, indeed, serious problems with our voting systems, and if a "reform" is implemented, with high hopes -- fantasies, really -- and at high cost, it can impede the progress of true reform for decades.

That's why I recommend starting with the simplest and cheapest reforms. As simple and as cheap as counting all the votes. And this aligns with the interests of the voting security experts. They also want us to count all the votes!

Just that one change, with a corresponding change in instructions, turns Plurality into a quite sophisticated voting system. No change in voting equipment (it must already be able to handle multiple votes in one race because of plurality-at-large elections, plus there are other ways to arrange the ballot even if this approach is for some reason impossible).

Is that system ideal? I think not, but it's an improvement, and I've never seen a cogent argument that tossing "overvotes" was better than keeping them. There are a series of knee-jerk arguments we see. Supposedly it violates one-person, one-vote, but it's easy to show otherwise.

And that improvement, which will *at worst* do nothing, it defaults to Plurality, but we can be sure that not all voters will bullet vote. In particular, as to the big concern about the spoiler effect, the supporter of a minor no-hope candidate gains an option and no longer must face a Hobson's choice: betray the favorite or lose voting power. And when we do instant runoff approval voting, the voter can vote that first preference, and if a majority agree, the first preference wins.

(I won't go into all the various options and tweaks that would further improve IRAV, because the point here is that a no-brainer improvement that costs nothing should be first to be considered, not last. And if we are going to do IRV, we must ask, why not allow voters who want to do so to equal-rank? Why toss those votes? What harm would be done? And, I can tell you, IRV gets much better if multiple approvals are allowed. But ... there are even better methods, and why use the complicated elimination system of IRV, which requires central counting or centrally coordinated counting, where an error in any precinct can require all other precincts to recount. Is it "rabid" to note these severe problems?)

There is a particular problem with activists who are trying to change the status quo. They think they have a better idea, but anyone who strongly points out the problems with this idea they will then identify as a rabid supporter of the status quo. Robert, you have done this, and you have pushed an expert into your imagined "rabid anti-IRV party." In this, you have quite strongly allied yourself with FairVote, which has sought to so identify all opponents of IRV, dismissing Warren Smith and others as simply biased against IRV, often presumed to be because they are "pro-Range," when, in fact, Smith is a mathematician and, while he got all hot and bothered some years back over his realization that Range could have some very salutary effects, and somewhat thought of the situation as an emergency, he never allowed himself to leave behind his balance, and he openly acknowledges problems with Range and studies them.

I don't agree with Smith's overall political analysis. But, after all, that's not his expertise. The expert you have attacked is not an expert -- not yet! -- on voting systems, but on voting security. However, she's learning. Are you? It seems you have learned something. You started as an IRV supporter. You listened to enough of the criticism to get that it wasn't without basis.

Once upon a time, I'd have said, okay, IRV has problems, but it's still better than plurality, so I'd support a measure to replace plurality with IRV. I am no longer so confident of that, and it might depend on details, among them the specific application. Take Takoma Park, Maryland, which was an early IRV adopter in the current fad. Why do they have IRV? It makes no sense there. The majority of elections are unopposed, common in small towns, where it can actually be difficult to get anyone to run, sometimes. A few elections have two candidates. And a very few have more than that but are easily decided in the first round, in reality. The elections are nonpartisan, and we know that in nonpartisan elections in environments like that, there is no difference between the results of IRV and the results of plurality. So .... if I lived in Takoma Park, would I support IRV?

It would depend on another factor, my identity. If I were Rob Richie, I'd support IRV there, because it would further my national campaign. And you can guess where Rob Richie lives.... IRV was harmless in Takoma Park because they basically get the result in the first round, at least most of the time, and the results are, after all, the same as plurality. So why not help out a prominent town resident?

But where there are elections with 23 candidates on the ballot, IRV gets very expensive. And the method breaks down and starts to show serious pathologies. Does it produce better results than Plurality? No. The same results. Show me an exception in a nonpartisan election and we can discuss this, there may actually have been one, but the rarity proves the point. And IRV wasn't replacing plurality in San Francisco, it was replacing top-two runoff, which, for reasons which are not necessarily obvious to people who haven't deeply studied voting system theory and experience, is a much better method than IRV. It was a step backwards. At great expense, though in one way it may have been worth it.

It gave us, quickly, a large body of data allowing to study the actual performance of IRV. Who is paying attention to that data? Only the people whom you might call the "rabid anti-IRV party." Has it occurred to you, Robert, that IRV might be much worse than you've realized and that these people might actually be onto something?

Yes, there are some anti-IRV activists who are, in fact, attempting to preserve Plurality, it seems, and who may have other suspect motives; the prominent group in Minnesota uses arguments that are sometimes pretty shaky. There is also a truly excellent video producer on YouTube who is astonishingly effective in calmly pointing out the problems with IRV, and I haven't seen him proposing alternatives, so is he a "Plurality-pusher"? I don't know. I don't know who he is, but, boy, if I had a political campaign, I'd want him on my side. He's not "rabid," and that's why he's so effective. He calmly leads his audience into a clear realization of the problems.

You really should study the history of the relationship between FairVote and voting systems theorists. The Center for Range Voting people, basically Warren Smith and Jan Kok, with my assistance, attempted to find ways to cooperate with FairVote. It was impossible, Richie didn't give a fig about broader consensus, he's a professional political activist and he has one goal: victory. Victory for what? Whatever he's pushing, and he's not about to dilute it or weaken it with compromise. To be fair to Rob, he's just doing what many other political activists do, it's the norm, in fact. When you decide to support a candidate, you don't back up and allow yourself to have doubts, you persist and do your best at least until the election is over. It's like being a lawyer for the prosecution or defense. If the defense lawyer starts to have doubts about the guilt of the client, he or she will nevertheless do his or her best to convince the jury that the client is innocent.

And there is even a value to this. If the decisions are made in an environment where there is deliberation, as happens with a jury. They talk it over, review the evidence, and (when the system is working) the evidence is all laid out, with expert testimony as needed. But this is in a situation where the question is simple: Yes (Guilty) or No (Not Guilty) or No Decision (Hung Jury), and with serious issues (criminal cases), unanimity is required. (With civil issues, it's simple majority, but no decision can be made by a jury without a majority consent. They *never* would use plurality or IRV. But they might use approval voting in their process, or even deeper Range, to poll the jury, it's a great idea. The final result would always be ratified by a majority, so there is absolutely no damage from the asserted pathologies caused by supposed strategic voting.)

But there is a better way, in fact; the adversarial technique is part of the problem with our social decision-making system. It tends to drown out the still, small voice of knowledge and wisdom, in favor of heat and fervor.

Robert, I'm suggesting to you a fast path. Drop your attachment to what you think you know, much of it is shallow and incomplete. I'm not suggesting that you rush to the opposite side and accept everything you are being told. Be skeptical, ask for proof or evidence or clear explanation.

A long time ago, I realized that if I met some perfect expert who knew everything, and whose analysis was deep and accurate, I would surely disagree with him or her on many issues....

That doesn't mean that I'm wrong on any particular issue, and there is no such expert. But it does mean that I'm surely wrong on some things, and how am I going to correct myself if I automatically believe that I'm right?

So I discuss stuff, and, for sure, I've stuck my foot in my mouth many times. Discuss stuff with experts when you aren't an expert, the fastest way to learn is, in fact, to taste your foot. And learn from it. Don't get stuck in personality conflicts, they will distract you and cause you to harden your positions. After all, who wants to admit that the arrogant jerk was right?

Sometimes that is exactly the best thing to do, and it's admirable. It doesn't make an ass into a nice guy, or anything but right on that point, for even a stopped clock is right twice a day, and we could say that sometimes the stopped clock is, at those times, more correct than the best and usually most accurate clock, because the latter is almost always off by some value, so it is almost never fully correct! But it can be made more and more correct, the average error is far lower than for the stopped clock. I prefer not to be a stopped clock until I'm dead. And maybe not even then, we'll see, eh?