At 01:44 AM 1/15/2010, robert bristow-johnson wrote:
And it only takes a few people to realize this to start building
the structures. It is *not* necessary to convince the masses. That
will come later, after they have examples to look at, which is what
most people need.

all of the above resonate very closely to what i've been thinking for
about 10 months.

Thanks, Robert. Stick around :-)

So my political recommendations are based on what is already known,
what has been already tried, with only minor variations beyond
that. Approval voting, one might note the critics state, can
default to Plurality if most voters vote for their favorite and
leave it at that. *That's fine.*

no it ain't.  (Plurality is not fine.)

Always remember that "fine" is a relative adjective. Fine compared to what?

If the existing system is Plurality, and a change costs little or nothing, that the new system defaults to Plurality if most people vote it the same way means that the reform Does No Harm. That's what's "fine."

Further, what we are really talking about is Approval voting, right? In a situation where voters don't use the facility to add additional votes, it may indeed be fine, because those sincere Plurality votes (which with Approval actually will be sincere, because there is no reason to vote otherwise in Approval) will do the job and select, quite likely, the ideal winner by any reasonable standard.

We are accustomed to thinking of the situations where plurality fails, but those situations can be *largely* handled by simply allowing additional approvals. We forget that Plurality *usually* works, within the context where it is applied. When the context changes outside that functional envelope, Plurality obviously has defects, even serious ones.

We must, also, understand that voting systems don't exist in a vacuum. There is a great deal of pre-election activity that influences how people vote, and this activity frequently operates to make Plurality more functional that straight theory might indicate. Further, even the pathology of Plurality, such as the spoiler effect, also has a positive function, and if we don't understand that, we may indeed try to eliminate it and get rid of the baby with the bathwater. We need to understand that there is a baby in there, so that we can protect the baby and only get rid of the dirty water.

(it's fine and good for us to have different positions.  i just
think, and have for decades, that in a multi-candidate race, the
problems with FPTP are too well known to revert back to that because
IRV doesn't cut the mustard.)

So don't revert back to that. Approval, however, is almost the same as FPTP, there is just one very small rule change, eliminating a rule that was a Bad Idea in the first place, it's an historical accident that voting for more than one was *ever* prohibited. The rule makes *some kind of sense* in a repeated ballot situation, where multiple voting is less necessary, compromise can happen in other ways. But my sense and actual experience is that approval is quite efficient in that situation, where it is also quite possible to do an approval poll or a set of polls, and then actually vote Yes or No to an implementation motion. For some reason that I *don't* understand, Robert's Rules discourages polling, but my guess is that they are thinking of different kinds of polls than what would be used to choose from multiple options. They are probably thinking of polls on Yes/No questions, which are indeed a waste of time, just vote on the question! If no majority, it doesn't cause damage. If majority, there is a decision, and anyone voting for it, if they think that better, may request reconsideration, reopening the question. A poll is indeed a waste of time. But to quickly sort through multiple options, approval polling is quick, can be done by voice vote or show of hands, for example. If it's a written ballot, Range voting becomes more of a possibility and can further increase negotiation efficiency.

We need to back up and look at why we vote. What's the goal? And then we re-examine the various aspects of voting systems from that perspective, not from a perspective that incorporates a host of held assumptions about what's good and what's not.

Count All the Votes. And then, I claim, we should use the votes
that are counted, and political theory generally says that Approval
Voting, which is simply a matter of Counting All the Votes, is
quite a good method, superior to plain Plurality, and simply
defaulting to Plurality if people just vote for their favorite.

i think the folks on the edges want a way to express a preference for
their guy that will actually count against their fallback guy if the
race were to become such that's between the two of them.

Sure. But look where this matters, with, say, Bucklin. Multiple majorities. If there is a multiple majority, we might back up and look at the higher preference votes. If there is a difference between the majority winner after opening up additional approvals, and the leader before, which defines the situation Robert is concerned about, this will detect it, and a runoff can be held.

Alternatively, and possibly dependent on margins, we could decide to follow the traditional most-votes assumption. But it's largely moot. Multiple approvals both with a majority is probably very rare, unless the candidates really are close to each other in broad perception, in which case it doesn't matter a great deal which one is chosen. But "a great deal" could be better defined by actual vote patterns.

If the method is Range Bucklin (the fractional vote equivalent of Bucklin, the same effective sliding down with rounds of approval cutoff), then it becomes more possible to detect a problematic multiple-majority from an insignificant one, one where it would be better to just go ahead and complete the election.

Consider this with ordinary Bucklin, Robert: you have a strong preference for your favorite so you are concerned about adding that second preference vote.

A. It's runoff Bucklin. Fine. Don't add any more second preferences, leave that for a runoff. Or follow strategy B for any candidates where you would prefer to finish the election rather than seeing a runoff. B. It's deterministic. So skip the second rank and place your vote in third rank. Maximized LNH protection, while still, in the end, allowing your strategic approval(s).

It all depends on your preference strength. With Range/Bucklin, you could directly express the strength, and the method basically does the negotiating for you. My sense is that with a proper understanding of strategy, not difficult, you would vote effectively, and it would be a sincere vote. Sincerity expression is encouraged if it's runoff/Bucklin, and the effect of that is a somewhat increased likelihood of runoffs. But we must say that those runoffs happen if the electorate effectively prefers them. They happen, if the threshold is a majority, if a majority of the electorate withheld the compromise votes necessary to find a majority result.

The best details depend on context, there isn't necessarily a universal answer. When is "good enough" good enough?

  with
Approval, they still have to strategize "do I vote for both or do I
vote just for my favorite?"  actually (Terry knows about this), in
Vermont, the State Senate races are sorta weird.

Sure. And with a majority requirement, there is a sensible strategy behind this, easy to understand and state. In Vermont, with the gubernatorial election, the strategy question is "Would I prefer to add an additional approval, or to see this election go to the legislature for one of the top three to be picked?"

And the answer to that question depends on preference strength! As well as our trust in the legislature. Trust the legislature a lot, vote your favorite and you can leave it at that. Your vote is effectively a vote against all other candidates.

Don't trust the legislature, add an additional approval if you'd prefer to see that result to the legislature choosing.

It's much simpler than you think, Robert.

unlike the
Representatives that have legislative districts drawn (and have a
single winner for each district), the State Senate candidates run at
large for the whole county.  being that Burlington is the largest
city in the state, our county is also the largest, i think.  we have
6 state Senators and the rules are we can vote for up to 6 on a
single ballot, and the 6 highest vote getters are elected.

Cumulative voting. Not bad, if the voters are organized. Actually fair if they are.

  usually a
party puts out 6 candidates and one might think that they could just
plug the 6 of their party unless they like to cross over for some
particular candidate they like.  but if there are 4 or 5 candidates
that are "okay" with me, but one or two candidates that i
particularly like (and i might consider an underdog), i will end up
"bullet voting" for just that one or two candidates because i want
them to win badly enough that i don't want to risk having another
person of the same party displace them in the top 6.

And then the party vote is split. Rather, it would be better for the party to determine how many candidates it could be likely to collectively elect, and only put up that number of candidates. It would use utility-maximizing methods to pick its own candidates, so that most members would really be willing to vote for them with all their votes. It would suggest exact voting patterns to its members, and from experience, it would know how the members respond, so it could maximize effectiveness.

There are, of course, much better election methods for choosing the six. Cumulative voting can produce a rough proportional representation, but only with organized voters, otherwise it's quite hit-or-miss. Asset Voting would be perfect, but, hey, that's a truly radical reform, in spite of allowing every voter to vote sincerely, with a minimum number of votes being wasted, and other benefits.

So there are good PR methods. Reweighted Range Voting. Proportional Approval Voting. And, of course, STV, which ain't bad for PR, but it tends to require much more knowledge on the party of voters, or the use of voter information cards which gives much more power to party leaders and probably subtracts power from independent voters.

  but i think a
ranked ballot would do well for that and maybe STV is as good as we
can do in a multi-winner case.  i dunno.

Well, it's known. We can do better. But STV is good, *in some ways.* It breaks down the fewer the seats being elected, the last election is effectively IRV, but the first seats are almost certainly optimal. Asset was proposed as a tweak on STV that would result in far fewer wasted votes, so an STV ballot and counting could be used, but my judgement is that Asset is so powerful a technique that a simple Approval ballot would be fine, which, you will note, fully empowers voters who simply vote for their favorite and leave it at that. I only would even allow additional votes because of some very slight theoretical improvement under some situations, it can simplify certain voter decisions, and counting "overvotes" reduces ballot spoilage with likely higher effective expression of voter intent.

  because i can see that it's
possible (but it doesn't always happen) for Condorcet to order
candidates from the top (the Condorcet winner) to the bottom (the
Condorcet loser), maybe picking the top 6 using Condorcet ordering
would be best, but i dunno.

The Condorcet criterion doesn't really apply to multiwinner, though I think there is some way to extend it. Always remember an important thing: if we want fair representation, if a quota of votes elect a winner, those votes are fully represented and should be considered as spent. So if you are going to use the condorcet criterion, you'd need to look in sequence. Devalue the ballots which have been used to elect a C winner, then look at lower preferences, which are then fractionally counted. I'd say you should look at how multiwinner STV works, in a decent application.

  my political licks have just been about
IRV vs. Condorcet vs. Plurality (or the old 40%+ rule) in the single- winner case. i'll fight the multi-winner battle some other time, and
i just don't know yet what side i'm on.  i might become STV.  sure,
it's elegant to have the same theory for both the single-winner and
multi-winner case (and IRV is STV for single-winner), but i think
that IRV has enough problems that i just cannot support it over
Condorcet, if given the choice.

I'm suggesting that if you look at Bucklin, including looking at the history, you would realize that it's truly a powerful method with much more implementation history in the U.S. than IRV. It is far simpler to count than IRV or even Condorcet methods.

I don't think it's been adequately studied in the simulations, which tend to be oversimplified in how they set up voter voting strategy. And if there is a majority requirement, I'm pretty sure that hasn't been studied yet. Bucklin, however, works, we know that, because it worked, and the only thing it didn't do was find majorities if too many voters didn't add additional preferences, which is an *intrinsic problem*, not avoidable unless voters are coerced, which is unconstitutional. It would still outperform Plurality and IRV, resolves the spoiler effect, is probably not subject to Center Squeeze, in itself, etc.

And it's really easy to vote, strategy isn't difficult.

Bucklin is really instant runoff Approval and can truly be voted that way.

With IRV, you add an additional lower ranked vote if you want your vote to be counted if your candidate is eliminated.

With Bucklin methods, you add an additional vote if you want your additional votes (additional approvals) to be counted if your higher preferences are not going to win with a majority. The difference between "eliminated" and "not going to win by a majority without more votes from other voters" is important.

Sure, when you allow your additional approvals to be expressed, you then create a possibility that your lower ranked vote will allow your lower preference to beat your favorite. You have not, with Bucklin, voted for the lower preference over your first preference and you have in fact abstained from that particular pairwise election (after it's clear that nobody is going to win with a majority). But what you and your candidate gain is that other voters may push your favorite over the victory margin. You lose a little, and you might gain a lot.

As to losing a little, suppose it was a situation where you would, in fact, be losing a lot. I.e., if it happens that your second rank vote causes your second favorite to win, would you regret it? *How much* would you regret it. Do remember that if your vote has that effect, the regret has to be considered at half value, because we are talking about the difference between a tie and a decision. Perhaps I should do the game theory analysis....

If, considering all this, you believe you would regret your second rank vote, that your preference strength is too strong to allow you to feel comfortable with this, then not adding the lower ranked vote is quite an appropriate strategy. With a majority required, it's quite safe.

With Range/Bucklin, which I don't see as a politically practical first step, you'd essentially control your approvals using specification of preference strength. That's what Range/Bucklin does, and the maximimally effective strategy there is quite likely the most accurate expression of your actual preference strengths among the major candidates. But more study is needed, for sure. Nobody has studied this method, to my knowledge.

Then, under some circumstances, the Range information could be used to avoid runoffs, or to resolve multiple majorities, which, if you think about it, is the situation where the voting problem you mention actually becomes important. (If a majority is required.)

Abd ul, my position has always been consistent in the last 10
months.  i fully support the *goals* of IRV because i think they are
the same *goals* that we have with Condorcet or any of the other
ranked-ballot methods.  those goals were, for me, boiled down to 4
salient principles that i outlined in my paper that i have plugged
here at least a few times.  those principles are (i'm repeating 3,
but hey, bits are cheap):

Thanks. Specifying the basis for your opinions is very helpful.

___________________________

1. If a majority (not just a mere plurality) of voters agree that
candidate A is
better than candidate B, then candidate B should not be elected.

And I've shown that this is not a basic principle, there are situations where it's obviously a suboptimal result. Even seriously suboptimal. It sounds good because we don't ordinarily have the information in elections to notice the problem with it, we would if we used Range methods or did good Range polling.

2. The relative merit of candidates A and B is not affected by the
presence of a
third candidate C. If a majority (not just a mere plurality) of
voters agree that
candidate A is better than B, whether candidate C enters the race or
not,
indeed whether candidate C is better (in the minds of voters) than
either
candidates A or B (or both or neither), it does not reverse the
preference of
candidate A over candidate B. If that relative preference of
candidate is not
affected among voters, then the relative outcome of the election
should not
be affected (candidate B winning over candidate A). In the converse,
this
means that by removing any loser from the race and from all ballots,
that
this should not alter who the winner is.

This is a wordy version of IIA, and the vulnerability of a system to IIA violation is a matter of great controversy. Range isn't vulnerable to IIA if we just remove a candidate from the votes, nor is Approval, for example. But voters might choose a different strategy, making it vulnerable in that sense. Basically if the removal of a candidate causes *any* change in how voters make their decisions, it will cause an effect from the removal of what is called an irrelevant candidate. In practical reality, we must recognize that no method is completely invulnerable to IIA, because of the effects of voter perception. Let me provide the reductio ad absurdem:

The voters all very strongly prefer A, except for a few, so even if the voters have the option of ranking or rating other preferences, they mostly don't bother. But a few voters for whatever reason don't like A, or like A little enough that they add additional approvals. (Let's say the method is approval). Easily, if A is eliminated, the A voters will take a stronger look at the remaining alternatives, and how they will pick from among them cannot be predicted as a general rule. So it can *easily* happen that the elimination of A can shift the result from B to C, for example.

IIA is considered by many experts to be the weakest of the Arrovian criteria. But I'll agree that a good method won't be vulnerable to IIA if all you do is remove the A votes, and don't do a separate election. And Range, for example, satisfies that.

3. Voters should not be called upon to do "strategic voting". Voters
should feel
free to simply vote their conscience and vote for the candidates they
like
best, without worrying about whom that they think is most electable.
Voters
should be able to vote for the candidate of their choosing (e.g.
Perot in 1992
or Nader in 2000) without risk of contributing to the election of the
candidate
they least prefer (perhaps Clinton in 1992 or Bush in 2000). They should
not have to sacrifice their vote for their ideal choice because they are
concerned about "wasting" their vote and helping elect the candidate
they
dislike the most. As an ancillary principle, a candidate should not
have to
worry about electing his/her least desirable opponent by choosing to run
against another opponent that may be more desirable.

Now, consider this from a basic perspective. Voters don't have votes in their head as some kind of immediate "sincere" vote, voters don't even have relative opinions about candidates, except usually they will have a favorite. What you want, I'd think, is a system that will allow a sincere expression of a first preference, or maybe even a full expression of preferences, all the way down. There are such systems. But this is the problem: say, with Range, you accurately express your relevant preferences, normalizing your vote so that it has maximum impact. This means that you vote at at least one candidate with maximum vote (100%) and at least one with minimum vote (0%). Suppose, however, there is an irrelevant candidate! Somehow, Satan got on the ballot. Satan doesn't have a prayer of winning. For sure -- he's Satan!

So, do you vote Satan 0% and everyone else 99% or 100% by comparison? Only if you think there is a good chance of Satan winning! There is nothing really wrong with your sincere vote, but it doesn't allow you much voting power between the real candidates. Okay, so we use a condorcet system. But this system can't express preference strength, so it can really screw up.

But people are quite accustomed to this problem. They don't alter their votes in Plurality through the presence of irrelevant alternatives, not in the meaningful sense. And they will vote in Range and Approval quite like that. They will disapprove of Satan and vote in the rest of the election quite as if Satan weren't on the ballot. They are exerting full voting strength against Satan, and in a runoff system, they couldn't do more to prevent Satan from being elected. The issue is how they vote for other candidates. Quite by the same argument, they won't waste positive voting strength in irrelevant pairwise elections. So, with Range, they might prefer Nader to Gore, but a vote of Nader 100% Gore 50%, even if that is "sincere" would have wasted half their vote in 2000. So they would be more likely to vote, say, Nader 100%, Gore 99%. Because Gore is a *relevant* candidate, a frontrunner, and the real race is likely to be between Gore and Nader.

Bucklin allows full strength voting in the relevant race while still allowing clear preference expression. Range/Bucklin would work in a similar way. You wouldn't waste any of your vote by adding a lower relevant preference and a higher no-hope preference.

4. Election policy that decreases convenience for voters will
decrease voter
participation. Having to vote once for your preferred candidate, and
then
being called on to return to the polls at a later date and vote again
for your
preferred candidate (if he/she makes it to the run-off) is decidedly
less
convenient and we must expect that significantly fewer voters will
show up
for the run-off. Or, if your most-preferred candidate did not make it
to the
run-off, the motivation to return to the polls to vote for a somewhat
less
preferred candidate (or to vote against a much disliked candidate) is
reduced and fewer voters show up. Electing candidates with decreased
legitimate voter participation cannot be considered as democratic or as
indicative of the will of the people, as electing candidates with
higher voter
participation.

Is "fewer voters" a bad thing. Doesn't it depend on what kind of sample it is? It is standard practice in democracy that decisions are made by the members of an organization or society who show up to vote. Why? Repeated balloting in a standard direct democracy can be a pain in the neck, very inconvenient. But that very inconvenience has a function.

Here, though, I'm addressing the idea that runoff elections are harmful. Obviously they have a cost and obviously either they or the primary are likely inconvenient. Is that a good thing or a bad thing? I've mentioned that some have repeated arguments here that are essentially repeats of the familiar FairVote arguments used to sell a fish bicycle to eskimos. (How's that for a hybrid, eh?)

Very obviously as well, many jurisdictions were willing to put up with the cost and inconvenience in order to find majorities, and there really isn't any way to guarantee a majority, there are merely ways to make a majority more likely. (The guaranteed majority by preventing any more than two candidates in a runoff election, no write-ins allowed, is a faux majority, essentially coerced. A real majority is a voluntary approval by a majority of voters of an outcome, when they were free to express themselves otherwise.)

But here is the new information that should be digested, it seems to be new because I haven't come across this elsewhere, even though I consider it obvious. Like a lot of the stuff that I've come up with that takes a few years of mention before people start saying ... hmmm.... maybe there is something to this after all.

Robert doesn't like the consideration of preference strength, he really hasn't said why. But the only reasonably objective standard that anyone has come up with for judging voting system quality has been to postulate absolute voter utilities and predict behavior from them as simulated voters encounter a voting system in a series of simulated elections. Voting system criteria address the limits of a system's behavior but not its normal behavior. Lots of assertions and claims are made about strategic behavior that aren't based on solid ground, only on speculation and possibility.

In any case, if we postulate absolute utilities, never mind that there is no clear way to extract them from voters, and then we make reasonable predictions about how voters will behave, and we vary this behavior according to, in one approach, varying degrees of "sincere" and "strategic" voting behavior, we can see how a voting system behaves under varying conditions, across many elections. In order to compare voting systems, we need to be able to compare outcomes, and when we take the "criterion satisfaction" approach, except for a criterion that doesn't have an accepted name yet, we really are reduced to saying "My satisfied criteria are more important than yours! No, mine are more important!"

In order to consider voting system quality we have to back up and consider the purpose of elections. If we define different purposes, we may come up with different methods that most satisfy the purpose we choose!

For example, consider a possible application for voting. A society exists, say, the members of which can be classified into factions defined by a strong leader. Without some means of making decisions that would reflect what will happen if it boils down to which faction has the strongest army, the factions will in fact resort to this approach, and the faction with the strongest army will prevail, in general. So what if a vote is taken where every citizen can vote, and the faction with the most members can be expected, on average, to be able to field the strongest army, other things being equal. Presto. Plurality voting. Add coalitions of factions that decide to cooperate, and those factions make decisions internally by the same method, generally raising the quality and stability of the plurality votes. That leads to a 2-party system, with which, of course, anything more complicated than Plurality isn't necessary.

But there are better models and better goals. Long ago, we came to the concept of a majority faction, and we decided to respect the will of the majority, when it was expressed. We also allowed the subset of people who actually voted to represent the rest of society. Note something: people who don't vote, on average, don't care about the outcome as much as people who vote. Low voter turnout is, more than anything, a rational response by voters to a situation where they don't believe that their vote will make an important difference. That view is commonly derided, but it's probably more true in many situations than not. This disinterest in the outcome may be a sign of serious discontent coupled with a belief in the impossibility of changing the system, but that has its greatest impact in what candidates arise and how the public supports them. Or doesn't. But, alternatively, and this is a reality in many places, and quite clear, it reflects a contentment with the decisions made by the more highly informed and interested voters who do actually vote. As long as the group of interested voters doesn't stray too far from the interests of the entire electorate, this situation can continue. The voters aren't a sample of the voters, exactly, because they are, in general, more informed than the disinterested voters. They are not necessarily more informed than some of those who don't vote because they dislike all the options.

If voting is totally convenient and quick, no pain at all, will this improve results? Quite likely not! My sense is that, absent certain precautions, the results would get worse. Large uninformed and disinterested voters are easily manipulated by media masters, all that has to be done is to understand voter psychology and press the right buttons with enough skill. It is much more difficult to pull the wool over the eyes of people who put in much more time and have more interest.

The parliamentarians who edit Robert's Rules of Order are quite aware of the inconvenience of repeated balloting. Yet they make a majority result an absolute requirement, and recommend that it *never* be waived. Not even for mail elections (FairVote has issued some propaganda about this that could have initially been excused as a simple error. Yet, when the error was pointed out, Rob Richie and others took one of two approaches: in some cases they modified their claims so that the claims weren't exactly false, but remained just as misleading; on other cases they simply asserted I was being deceptive, implying that what I showed as the plain meaning of the words in the manual was preposterous, because "so many organizations don't do that." But many organizations abandon democratic process because the leaders decide that democracy is too much work, too expensive, and, besides, we know better than the general membership.

The situation where the active voters decide that they deserve to make decisions better than the general membership, which can be true at a point, and is reflected by the lack of participation of less interested members, turns into something else when the refraining from participation becomes a fixed barrier, or something maintained by differential obstacles. For example, I've seen ostensibly democratic organizations, any member can vote at the annual meeting, but ... the annual meeting is held in Podunk, Idaho, where the founder and the members of the board live. And, of course, proxy voting is not allowed. That's differential access, enforcing and maintaining oligarchical control. And it's self-reinforcing, because the oligarchy can see itself as being those who really care. Sure. But.

Where access to voting is equitable, differential turnout functions as a kind of range voting, by excluding votes based on low preference strength, while including votes where the voter cares about the outcome. My sense is that runoffs improve the outcome of about one out of three runoff elections, where top two runoff, with all of its flaws, is used. (This is with nopartisan elections, I have no information matching this about partisan elections). In the other two elections, accepting the plurality winner is the same result as you get from the runoff.

Now, a good voting system is likely to reduce the need for runoffs. But there is no voting system that can match the power of deliberative election, in terms of the intelligence of the result. The trade-off is with efficiency, for deliberative methods have been considered impossible as the scale gets large. And indeed they are, if more advanced deliberative methods are not introduces.

Bottom line: we need to understand that repeated balloting, vote for one, with a majority required is such a powerful method that improvements can only be in the direction of reducing the number of ballots necessary to gain a majority. Then, we might come to a point where the improvement from holding an indefinite series of runoffs is negligible, assuming we use good methods for primary and runoff, say. Some Range advocates believe that Range is quite good enough for a deterministic single-ballot system. I disagree, and for reasons that I believe can be well-explained. But I don't have quantitative data: the basic difficulty with single ballot, irreducible and unavoidable, is that voters have less focus in single-ballot and are not as likely to understand the issues and the necessary compromises if they don't have the information from the first poll. And this is precisely what Robert's Rules of Order points out with respect to Preferential Voting in general (not just IRV). With IRV, it also points out center squeeze, which, of course, afflicts ordinary top-two runoff as well.

However, using an advanced method with top two runoff, both in primary and runoff, would, my opinion, so well simulate the process of repeated election, majority required that, (1) fewer runoffs would be needed, maybe many fewer, and (2) the improvement in quality of result from extending the series would be negligible, and would be outweighed by the damage from delay in resolution.

But we still need a method of assessing the quality of an outcome. And my contention is that there is really only one way to do that: test it with sets of postulated internal utilities, on a presumed absolute scale, and, with two caveats, the best result is the one which maximizes overall utility. "Absolute utilities" means utilities on a scale that is commensurable between voters and is summable across them linearly.

So if I encounter some election scenario and it is alleged that system A performs better than system B, given such and such a set of preferences, I always want to know what pattern of absolute utilities underlies the voting pattern.

When we are talking about motivated voters, we may be able to use normalized utilities. This is equivalent, in a sense, to one-person, one-vote, it assumes that we will attempt to serve voters equally. Maximum satisfaction for one voter is equivalent to maximum satisfaction for another, and the same for the other side of the scale, maximum dissatisfaction. However, that assumption clearly isn't accurate. So for a deeper understanding that includes differential turnout, we need to know what motivates voters to vote, and the normal assumption I follow is that absolute preference strength motivates it. If voters with low absolute preference strength were to "sincerely vote," it could be argued, they might vote like this in Range 100: A 51, B, 50, C, 49. Weak votes. If they did so, the overall utility of the result is enhanced over the same voter normalizing and voting A 100, B 50, C 0, even though both scenarios are quite accurately expressed by A>B>C and each of those ranked preferences is of equal strength. (If everyone was like this with respect to their preferences, Borda would work fine! -- but we still don't understand the whole picture until we factor in turnout.)

There are voting system proposals that test or measure absolute preference strength, most notably a Clarke tax. But inconvenience of voting is, in fact, a kind of test of sincere preference strength. And this isn't of little consequence. If not for it, my sense, top-two runoff wouldn't have so many comeback elections!

so Abd ul, Plurality can and has violated all 4 of those principles
(in a multi-candidate context) and we've known that for a long time.
for the average politically-savvy voter in a multi-party context
(which i consider myself one of), those were the main reasons we
supported IRV in the first place (over Plurality).

Except that, of course, Plurality and a two-party system are married. Rather, in a two-party system, the accommodation for divergent ideas is within the existing parties. The party system functions as part of the voting system, and by creating separate parties that don't cooperate with one of the majors (as a faction within it), one is actually bucking the political system and can cause it to break down and produce an extreme result.

A great deal could be written about how a healthy two-party system works; the parties appropriate the center and overlap across it. If they were strictly divided into left of center and right of center, the system would be dangerous and, indeed, we have seen what happens when a strong faction within a party, more extreme than the center of the part rather than more moderate, is able to dominate for a time. It produces stronger polarization and therefore a greater swing between election results, about which my general comment is that it's highly inefficient and can cause crashes, like any oversteering.

Notice this characteristic of Robert's approach: multiparty context. But where has IRV been most often implemented? Where is top-two runoff most often used? With nonpartisan elections. And, please get this: with nonpartisan elections, IRV is astonishingly faithful to plurality results. If we are going to understand voting systems, we need to understand this fact. And if we are going to design and recommend systems for specific applications, we'd better understand that the optimal system may vary with the context.

If people just vote for their favorite, in a nonpartisan election, we can predict that (unless it's very close), IRV will produce the same result and Plurality. Now, if you think that IRV is a decent method, and if you research and discover that this assertion is true about nonpartisan elections, surely the conclusion is inescapable: plurality is a decent method! Where does it break down? With partisan elections!

When the systems in use in the U.S. were first designed, the political party system had not arise. All elections were nonpartisan! So plurality isn't as stupid as we might think; but it was unable to handle the rise of political parties, just as those parties corrupted the electoral college which was a beautiful conception that turned into something quite different because the Constitutional Convention punted and did not address the election of the electors, but left it to the state legislatures, which easily became tools of the political party that happened to dominate there.

Well, done is done. What can we do? I have some suggestions:

1. Preserve top two runoff where it exists and improve it, don't dump it. Reduce the need for runoffs by using better methods of finding a majority; possibly use algorithms shown to confidently predict runoff results from voting patterns in the primary which could again reduce runoffs. (Is a majority requirement too tight? The simple-minded 40% threshold neglects the possibility of, say, 40%, 39%, 21%. That's not predictable, generally. (It might be predictable from ballot data in Range/Bucklin, because better preference strength information could become available. But the proof is in the pudding. Start collecting the data, start with a majority requirement, and accumulate experience and see if it's possible to lower the threshold. what's really important is lead. 40%, 21%, 20%, 19% is probably quite predictable from plurality ballots, more so with better data.)

2. If you can't do anything else, at least stop tossing overvotes. Count All the Votes. This, all by itself, turns almost any voting system into a better one, and, at the very least, it causes fewer spoiled ballots. If you vote for more than one, well, you have voted for more than one. If it was an error, it should be counted just as your vote is counted if you vote for the wrong candidate! But this *allows* additional approvals, which turns Plurality into Approval Voting, which is one of the top contenders among experts for best voting system! Indeed, with repeated balloting, that might be true. (Range/Bucklin amounts to the same thing with a more thorough disclosure on the ballot, but the complexity would probably be overkill, the really cool thing about repeated balloting with approval is that you can accumulate person understanding of the necessary compromises though the series of ballots. That happens with repeated plurality voting, but it can simply become more efficient, requiring fewer ballots in order to find a majority result.)

3. Don't even think about using IRV for nonpartisan elections. It's an expensive waste of time and money. It's quite likely that most of the votes cast aren't ever counted (except through systems that report ballot images). Think about it: normally there are two major candidates that lead the others, and those candidates aren't eliminated until one of them finally is in the last round. Together, the top two are normally a majority of voters. Now, have those voters added extra ranked votes? If they did, that justifies the comment and, realize, any lower preference votes for eliminated candidates, candidates eliminated where a higher preference candidate was still viable, are also not counted. This is why some people think that IRV violates equal voting principles, since two people may cast a second preference vote, but only one of these votes counts, the other didn't because the candidate was eliminated first. Not all votes are equal in IRV.

  and i had hoped
that it would be very rare indeed that IRV would be consistent with
those goals (as it would if it agreed with Condorcet, as best as i
can tell).  it succeeded in 2006 in Burlington and *failed* in 2009
(regarding Principles 1, 2, & 3, it succeeds with Principle 4).
that's 1 for 2.  not great odds.

but that is why it might sound like i'm with the IRV proponents,
because those principles are important to me and *sorta* consistent
with what IRVers like FairVote.org want.

Basically, you've understood half the problem....

anyway, it is because IRV so clearly *failed* to accomplish the very
goals that we had for it when we adopted it is what has motivated me
to learn a little bit about the whole election theory thing.

What a concept! Here we are trying to get jurisdictions to spend millions of dollars, but without actually studying all the reasonable alternatives. Nor with any study of the history and what's known about voting systems. Without inviting experts to testify and then making sure that what they have stated is critically examined and understood.

But my concern is the deceptive arguments that have been advanced
by FairVote, including their arguments against other voting
systems, and it's very important to expose these.

me too.  but i still value those 4 principles and Plurality does
worse (than IRV which, evidently, does worse than Condorcet).

Plurality obviously fails in certain contexts. But the method isn't necessarily to blame for that. Plurality works quite well with nonpartisan elections, and it's very simple to vote. It can be improved, but, quite simply, it's not as bad as it has been made out to be. It fails badly in certain partisan conditions. It also fails in nonpartisan elections with very many candidates, but, then again, IRV fails spectacularly there as well. No voting system performs really well presented, all in one step, with a hundred candidates.

[large section of my prior comment I have removed.]
i really agree with all that above, Abd ul.

Please understand how much work it was to discover all that. Nobody was challenging FairVote on the Robert's Rules of Order claim. Nobody noticed that the voter information pamphlet in San Francisco was deceptive on "the winner will still be required to get a majority of votes."

(That is not a "requirement" on a winner under the IRV method used in San Francisco, the proposition actually removed the majority requirement from the election code. The faux IRV "majority" is not a majority of votes, but a majority of votes for the top two, so it's a tautology, not some standard that the winner must meet. What was said is true for the Robert's Rules of Order process, not what FairVote promotes.)

And, now, I'll point out again that nobody, to my knowledge, has noticed the likely effect of runoff "inconvenience" on election quality. Except for me and those who read what I've written on this. What I'm trying to do is encourage people to step back and try to understand the foundations of voting, as well as to look at how voting systems actually function. This requires much more study and thought than a knee-jerk identification of problems. One of the dangers of reform is that sometimes reformers don't understand what they are tearing down and they lose the baby with the bathwater, they lose the positivefunction of some process or system that they don't understand, only seeing the down side.

Communists missed the function of speculators in regulating and buffering markets, and only saw greed. While in theory, a scientific study of supply and demand combined with the best predictive sciences could outperform the ad-hoc and chaotic function of speculation, but, it turns out, it ain't so easy to do that and avoid corruption as well as simple incompetence in bureaucracies. A speculator makes a mistake, he loses his shirt. It's self-regulatory, within limits. (Hence the best general process so far is to regulate and tax the profits of speculation in ways that still allow the positive function, while protecting the public against the possible extreme negative impact, under some conditions. And I'm not saying that it can't get even better than that, I'm saying that we should be careful when monkeying with long-standing traditions and processes. They might exist for reasons we don't yet understand.)

Focus on pure winning makes sense in the heat of a gladiatorial
contest, but, note, the gladiators served a very unhealthy system,
at the expense of themselves, they were pawns, sacrificed for
entertainment, fighting each other to the death, which, rather
obviously, wasn't good for gladiators. Sooner or later someone else
is faster or stronger or one slips.

> about this, Kathy, i don't believe your veracity at all.  since
March of
> 2009 (when Burlington IRV failed to elect the Condorcet winner
and all sorts

Kathy may make mistakes, but I'd be astonished to find her lying.

she's pretty partisan (as am i), now i don't even remember what she
said that i found so hard to believe.

Probably a good idea to completely forget about it, then, because, while Kathy makes mistakes, so do you, and perhaps what you found hard to believe, then, was actually true. She's not partisan as to political party, I think. She's a voting integrity expert and is really concerned about that, and is only starting to look at voting systems themselves in terms of performance.

In my own imagination, I **do** support the Condorcet method,
although
I don't know how to solve the Condorcet cycles or how often, if ever,
they might occur.

There are Condorcet-compliant methods, and the first-order
intuition of most of us who start studying voting systems is that a
Condorcet winner should always win the election. Turns out, no. Not
necessarily.

i haven't yet (despite Terry trying) been persuaded of that.

Well, Terry is leading you largely down the wrong path, and he didn't propose a sound method of assessing election quality. Basically, if you don't understand how the Condorcet winner can be a *lousy* choice, and clearly so, uncontroversially so, you've missed the whole topic of social utility as a method of considering election quality. But it can be done with simple examples. Ask.

*still* believe that electing the non-CW (assuming there is a CW) is
fundamentally less democratic (reflective of the will of the
electorate) than electing the CW.  if the CW exists and your
candidate is not that person, the CW beat that candidate when the
electorate is asked to choose between the two.  it's my Principle #1.

Okay, let me suggest an approach. Should a good election method work regardless of the number of voters? We don't use voting, generally, in very small groups, because we don't see it as necessary.

I won't describe the "pizza election," I've done that so many times, maybe someone else will. But if we consider three people trying to make a common choice, and they use a condorcet method, and two of them favor one choice, that will be the condorcet winner, but the situation can be such that, once the preferences and preference strengths of all the voters is known, *the majority will revise its position and consider that *for the group* the best choice is actually a different one.*

Majority rule, based on information, Robert. It's how we really make decisions in small groups when the relationships are functional. We can't understand large-scale decision-making if we don't understand small-scale decision-making!

When the scale becomes large, certain approaches become impractical, or may require more sophisticated techology or procedures, but that does not make them undesirable.

And it's possible to come up with many examples where the condorcet winner is clearly suboptimal. Consider the placement-of-the-state-capitol election used as an example on Wikipedia. How can we judge the quality of the result, aside from the method? I.e., what is the optimal placement of the capitol. Most methods only consider numbers of voters in each category and their preferences, but it's pretty obvious that the ideal result, other things being equal, would be the placement that minimizes average distance to the capitol. And this isn't necessarily the Condorcet winner. If the voters were to vote sincere votes based on mileage, they would actually, with a voting method, pick the optimal placement.

But we can transcend voting systems almost entirely. Consensus is powerful, and it's much more possible than most people think. Absolute and complete consensus on a large scale is probably unreachable, there are practical limits, but that doesn't make consensus undesirable! And when the goal is consensus, the differences between voting systems become far less important, but what becomes of interest is collecting the best information, at a point in time, as to voter preferences, and it's obvious that this should include preference strengths, because otherwise we have a mouse looking like a monster and vice-versa.

But the exceptions are probably relatively rare, and, in order to
understand it, you need to have a deeper understanding of the
science of public choice than is possible with only consideration
of pure ranking.

but the problem with considering *more* than pure ranking (Range) is
that it requires too much information from the voter.  and the
problem with *less* (Approval or FPTP) is that it obtains too little
information from the voter.

And this is an argument for runoff voting! Use Bucklin in the primary. The voter can vote Bucklin with bullet votes for the favorite (safe and easy). Look, you are assuming that the system will *require* complicated expression. Rather, the point is to *allow* expression. Each voter still has and will normally exercise one full vote.

This is something that should be realized: if voters just vote sincere normalized preferences, they can vote Range quite the same as a ranked ballot. Basically, vote Range as Borda count. And then if it looks wrong, *nudge it*! That's a sincere Range vote. Now, can you vote a more powerful vote?

Sure. But that requires strategic consideration. What if you don't do that? You won't be harmed, actually, though you may not get totally *maximized* results. If you want to optimize your vote fully, you have to do some work! TANSTAAFL.

Any voter can vote Range as Approval, and it's a powerful vote. My own study showed that the expected utility for a voter in a simplified Range 2 election with three candidates and a midrange candidate for the voter was the same if the voter voted pure approval or if the voter voted the midrange. But the idea that voting Range is difficult is based on some idea that you have to get it exactly right. You don't.

I would start in voting Range by ranking the candidates. That's because ranking is easy. But if I found it difficult to rank two candidates, I'd lump them together. If I don't want to do strategy at all, note, I may not maximize my own personal outcome, but I will maximize that of the overall election result! All I have to do is sincerely express what the election of each candidate means to me.

I'd put my favorite at the top, and the worst at the bottom. Now, what do I do with the rest? Some of them I won't know, perhaps. Where do I put them? I can simply not rank them, different range methods handle that differently. I wouldn't try to do this, if there were many candidates, in the voting booth! I'd do it at home. I'd spread out the names of the candidates on a range scale, favorite top, worst bottom, then I'd try to arrange them in a way that made sense in terms of their value to me. I find it more helpful to think of a positive-negative scale rather than the zero to positive number scale normally used with Range, because with the top end, I might think of how much I'd be willing to pay for the election of a candidate, to try to get a quantity. And on the negative half, how much I'd pay to avoid the election of this candidate.

Looking at each election pair, candidates which are more like each other would be placed together. Candidates which are more unalike (in terms of my like/dislike of them, I'd put futher apart. There is a formal process for this which would truly maximize the accuracy. But, really, it's only an election and I'm only casting one vote! How much trouble is it worth?

Once you realize that with a majority requirement, a bullet vote for the favorite is just fine, and the rest is just a method of being more expressive if one wants to be so, because with a majority requirement, a bullet vote is a vote against all other candidates.

Now, is that what you really want. If there is another decent candidate you'd be happy to see election, do you really want to vote against this one?

Bucklin makes it really easy. You rank them. The basic rule for adding lower preference votes in Bucklin with runoff would be that if you would prefer to see the election of a candidate than a runoff, add a vote for the candidate. Where you add that vote, in what rank, depends on your preference strengths. Bucklin essentially votes for your in a series of approval elections where you lower your approval threshold, which is exactly what happens in repeated balloting. You make compromises in order to find a majority for some result.

Honestly, Robert, when this sinks in, you'll wonder why you didn't notice it all. It is not rocket science. But we aren't used to thinking in these ways, we've accepted certain conditions as normal and proper without really looking at the foundations.

I'll quite here, it's late and this is already insanely long. But I intend to come back with the rest.