> Jonathan Lundell  > Sent: Tuesday, February 05, 2013 6:40 PM
> There is, I think, an underlying misconception here, namely
> that STV order of election can be interpreted as a ranking of
> level of support. It's not, in the general case.

Jonathan is absolutely right.  If you want lists ordered by relative support,
you need to adopt a procedure like that recommended by
Colin Rosenstiel and used by some UK political parties when they have to select
ordered lists for closed-list party-PR elections.

First you use ordinary STV-PR to elect the required total number of candidates.
 Then you conduct a series of STV-PR elections, each
for one vacancy less than the preceding election.  The unsuccessful candidate
takes the lowest vacant place on the ordered list.
Continue until you run-off between the top-two for the second-last place.

For full details, see:
  http://www.crosenstiel.webspace.virginmedia.com/stv/orderstv.htm
and
  http://www.crosenstiel.webspace.virginmedia.com/stv/ordstvdt.htm

The second one includes a constraint for candidate's sex.

James Gilmour

---
Virus Database (VPS): 130205-0, 05/02/2013
Tested on: 05/02/2013 23:49:22