On 11 February 2015 at 11:29, stephen Turner <stephen.n.tur...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks,
> I planned on using pmake for the initial testing but would ultimately like
> to use gnumake. I figured if everything goes well I could see if I can
> generate a working makefile.

It's probably fairly straightforward to translate it to GNU makefile
syntax, but there is one downside: trying to maintain parallel build
systems is awkward. This is a problem in the LLVM family of projects,
for instance, which have up to three build systems: GNU make, cmake,
and Xcode project files. Almost every change that adds or removes
files breaks one of them. The elftoolchain build is certainly much
more straightforward than those projects, but I'm still not sure the
benefit of having GNU Makefiles would be worth that trouble.

> I will let you know how it goes, im looking at using it with pcc and
> musl-libc.

Sounds good, I'm interested in seeing how you get on.

Also, I have a fork of elftoolchain on Github at
https://github.com/emaste/elftoolchain. I am using this to collect
fixes for issues discovered as we work to incorporate elftoolchain
into FreeBSD, and there are about 20 fixes and improvements there that
have not yet made it to the upstream repository.