While I get your point, there's also the common use case of logging
messages; that is, I usually include the app name in case someone decides
to log everything to the same log.  There's also message displayed to the
end user.  I mean I usually put something in the message about exactly
which app it is in case the end-user decides to capture a screen shot or
something like that.  For whatever it's worth, having a standardized
variable like __APP__ would help with those use cases and make it a little
easier to maintain.

oc